+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's Snowing !

Blog Entries

It's Snowing !

It is snowing big time. Lots and lots of flakes. It isn't sticking on the sidewalks or roads but is on the grass. I'm still at work and if you've read the 'Dogwood' thread you'll know that I had plans to cover and haul pots. I think hauling is out.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

You can keep that snow in Wichita too! I don't want it now, too late to help my plants any. Stupid weather. "Killed" my beautiful "Bleeding Hearts" and probably burned the noses really bad on all the Hosta that have them poked about the leaf litter. And I don't even want to talk about what it did to my poor daylilies.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Isn't snow an insulator ?

Blog Entries
    Unbelievable ! I scraped snow off my car !
    I brought home extra bubble wrap and layed it over all the potted lilies. Also, the hydrangeas and Rebecca's peonies--one has flower buds. Also, some iris.
    This is OK for the lilies as long as there is no wind. I couldn't weight it down on them.
    All dl's and the corral are on their own.
    I snipped iris stalks with buds as well as bloomed lilacs as placed in a vase. I am sure that passing cars thought I was nuts.
    In the meantime, I wonder if my toes are frost bitten. They were wet and cold while I was outside even though I was wearing boots. Right now they're all tingly. Anything for my plants !

I'm not going to panic!

I'm not going to panic...

Our local weather just posted 33 as a low for Sunday morning. 35 for Monday morning.

weather.com still says 41!

Accuweather.com has been saying 34 for awhile, but on some days, they have changed that.

Instead, I'll be getting out the frost blanket, shutting up the greenhouse (flood lights on) and hoping for the best.

It's going to be busy around here, figuring out how to try to at least save what I can.

This is going to be a record breaker for us.

Oh, well!

It happens, but why this year?

I plan to grin and bear it as much as I can!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Really interesting how it's sweeping over all of us !
    About all we can do is 'triage' !
    It must be incredibly unusual for Alabama !
    Our weatherman didn't even mention snow for Wichita. I couldn't believe my eyes when I just casually looked out the window at work !

When you do not get snow very often, and believe me, we do not! Snow would make it all worth while!

Enjoy it while you can Cathy! It won't be long before it is terribly hot again!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I'm home today--have off for Good Friday. Woke up to micro-snow. It is at freezing-predicted high of 40. It's very windy and, of course, off flew the plastic bubble wrap. I can't put anything heavy on the lilium stalks. I found some old curtains and will place over the bubble wrap. I saw one lilium with leaf damage starting and moved it to an indented area next to the chimney--it actually has 3 ground to roof 'house' sides--one is a window area. My Orientals are in there. The lilium heights are what makes it so challenging to cover them.
    The dl's show signs of cold damage and will most likely be as Rebecca says.
    I did recollect how last week in the newspaper garden section that they said that today was the absolute last day to spray for pine tip moth(which I bet I have). I thought, gee, maybe Mother Nature isn't such a dope after all. Just think how many bad bugs and fungus and bacteria will be zapped or severely cut back by this hard freeze/low temps. One silver lining-perhaps.
    Temperature-wise the worst is yet to come: Twenties tonight and with this wind-take another 5-10 off for wind chill.
    My silly Norwegian Elkhound is out there eating snow off the deck and acting like she's having the time of her life !

+ Reply to Thread