+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dogwood Winter

Dogwood Winter

Record high yesterday, probably record lows the rest of the week. The big storm came through last night leaving cold in it's wake. The next 5 days show daytime temps upper 40's lower 50's. The lows run from 30 tonight to 19 Saturday night. I've already got out the tarps and blankets. The crinum will get a bucket cover. We usually have a cold snap this time of year but not this long or this low. I hope it doesn't do a lot of damage. Mom's pear tree will surely be hurt, so no juicy pears this year.
    Those dogwoods sure are pretty but heck... nothing will be too prety after this week.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I hope your trees and plants fare well--especially the pear tree. Our temps have dipped as well-not as low as yours. Tonight we will flirt with 32 degrees and patchy frost. I remain optimistic. Potted lilies next to the house should be OK. And, I am hopeful for the peach tree(first spring here). It bloomed a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully some of those "scarce" honey bees stopped by and got the peach process going.
    Hoping for the best ....
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Down to 27 here tonight with a hard freeze. There goes what was left of the Bleeding Hearts after last nights low temps and the daylilies will all be back to the ground, not even the hardiest of them can withstand the low temps we will be having. The few blooms left on the baby Red Buds will fall and any bud among the new foliage on the Clematis will be destroyed. here the Lord was giving us the early spring I had prayed for and the Devil comes and takes it away.

I am totally bummed out by it.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

We have a freeze warning tonight and it is only supposed to be colder the next few nights. I covered everything for what good it will do. This will definatly set everything back. It is depressing after seeing so many things comeing up. That is what we get for such a warm March. One of the warmest Marches we've ever had. There are some things I would have liked to have brought in but not enough room and way too much to drag in. So I did what I could and hope for the best.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Pass the crying towel...our forecast has changed..hard freeze coming tonight, tomorrow night and Saturday night. Upper 20's.
    http://www.ksn.com/weather
    Do you think my potted lilies against the house would be OK ? I could throw blankies on them...hope I don't snap anything doing that. Or, I could wheelbarrow them all BACK to the garage..lots of work and I have a cold. I'm not sure what to do.
    Rebecca, no, no, no...the daylilies will die back ? True ?
    I can throw a blanket on the cold frame corral but the others...they are on their own. I might have to make a point of protecting my polytepals as they are so whimpy to start with.
    My hydrangeas..augh !..I WILL cover them.
    I don't have enough blankies to go around ! I have bubble wrap but how do I anchor it.
    AND

28,22,19 Those are the forecast temps for the next 3 nights. Will start to warm up a little Monday but still in the 30's at night.
    Everything looked okay this morning when I uncovered it, just a little bent over. But it is Saturday night I dread.
    Easter is supposed to be colder than it was on Christmas. Go figure.
    tennessee sue

We recieved 5 inches of snow on wed., there is still about an inch in some places, but they are calling for 3 more days of cold and snow. So far none of the foliage has turned to mush and the daffs are still blooming there heads off (alough a little droopy). Daylilies are up about 3 or 4 inches.
    Just got back from taking a walk around. Same story, they look o.k. so far.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Cathy and All.

I walked about yesterday and most plants looked really good. The only ones that didn't were the Bleeding Hearts, Clematis,Columbine and Hardy Geraniums. All the Dalyliles and Lilies, even the ones in pots looked really good, even had a few more lilies come up! None of my potted plants are really protected now so they are a lot tougher than we give them credit for being. Seedlings are another story and I haven't looked at last years that are now on the patio, under a double layer of plastic sheeting. Don't want to take it off - was to hard getting it on in the wind!

I cut most of my tulips and the better looking (fresher) daffodils yesterday to enjoy in the house and they are looking so nice, especially the 'Easter Bonnet' Daffodils with the pretty pink cups and white petals.

I didn't go out today, too cold for me to venture out unless I had to, which I didn't. The daylilies in their pots in the back bed all look good and the one bed I can see from the living room window is still looking good - that would be my near white full forms bed, with a few pinks thrown in for contrast!

There are still some blooms on the young Red Bud Tree, which surprised me by blooming in the first place. The one over by the near white bed didn't bloom but it was showing some leaf growth. It's a year younger than the trees in back so it could bloom net year. I had wanted to plant one there only more in the mound bed, but there just wasn't enough room, so Mother Nature planted one in just the right spot for me and it is a beautiful little tree now with nice branching and over all shape.

I haven't checked the big bed or looked at the peonies, but from other reports I have read I probably don't want to see them as they will be wilted and sad looking. Now I am wondering if they will be able to come back and bloom. I even have one growing in a pot that "was" looking very good. I want to plant it out somewhere this year, just have decided where yet. Perhaps up front in the triangle bed that the border bed ends in. There is an empty spot big enough for it and it would go well with the other plants already there. Oh well, we shall see once spring returns and decides to staay.

Rebecca

This is a bummer!

It does appear that we will get a very late frost, and I am truly depressed about that, but that is simply the way that it is.

My old roses are loaded with blooms,and some are aleady opened. I hope to protect the brugs, but I don't know how well I will be able to do that.

I will do what I can tomorrow, but those that I can't protect will have to fend for themselves.

Depressing! And, yes, tears are close to my eyes, but what can I say? It happens...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    19 tonight !
    The wind died down and I was able to cover the lilies better. Covered the iris/lilac(it's short) bed. Covered the daylily seedling/bagged dl corral. Moved the 3 potted clematis to the garage as well as 4 pots of lilies that were on the side of the house but not right up against it. Even got the potted lycoris covered as it was in the corral.
    My adult dl's in beds are on their own and this will really set them back.
    This weather temperature change is just vicious.
    I can just see your pretty roses. I'm sure your rose bush will make more for you.

Well, everything that is going to come inside has been brought in, and now the only thing left to do is to cover what I can cover.

It's sort of hard to cover the brugs that are over 8 feet tall, and I can't turn them on their side because they are rooted into the ground.

The hibiscus and gingers will be turned on their sides and covered. The same thing for the amaryllis with leaves only.

The daylilies and clematis will be covered with greenhouse plast just before dark.

The epi's have been brought inside.

I don't know what else to do. One of my weigelias is in bloom. I sure hate to see those blooms go... Ben Morrison azaleas are in bloom. Pink camelias are in bloom. There is nothing that I can do about those.

It's going to be a light freeze, I think. So, hopefully all will be okay...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Sleeting in Austin, temps in mid 30's, expecting low 30's tonight and I too have been covering plants like crazy and bringing in as many as possible. Actually took the heater back out to the GH for this one night - what a bummer Just have to wait and see how well everything endured this. Expected to warm up to normal early next week. Yeah
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

I just looked at the forecast again, and what a disappointment. I had hoped to be able to uncover plants tomorrow morning, but it looks like another near frost on Monday morning, so go figure!

I suppose the neighbors will just have to 'put up' with the vision of my old comforters over the plants that I don't want to have bitten back...

Oh, well! Bob, my sister says that it is snowing and sleeting around Franklin/Wheelock.

This cold snap is really a BUMMER!

I'm sticking with lights in the old gh, but the patio will be heated with the small electric heater.

The ONLY thing that will save my plants in the porch is mother nature and frost blankets.

Thank goodness, the wind has died down.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Sigh of relief....

It only went down to 38 degrees (no frost), and they have modified tomorrow morning's forecast.

Everything is being uncovered and taken back outside.

That was a close call.... My pecan trees are covered with tassels, and I do hope to get a few pecans on my baby pecan trees this year.

Whew!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I'm glad for you !
    It must be cold everywhere. Mom, in Florida, told me this morning that it was cold there.
    I'm headed down for a visit 4/21-28 and hope to take along some seeds and pot them. She also wants to know why her orchids aren't blooming. I might have to enlist Cindee's help on that one. She also tells me that the mango tree is loaded with mangoes. They go for $2 apiece here !
    Anyway, our temps should go up tomorrow--60's. I'm not sure if I should uncover everything b4 going to work or when I get home. Tonight it will be 30 and I'm thinking it's too soon to uncover everything tonight.
    Wandreing around in the cold for 3 days trying to keep plants covered gave my impending cold the upper hand and I'm under the weather(stuffed up!) since yesterday. Spent the morning tending to the houseplants--long overdue for snipping bad leaves.

Hope you have a pleasant Easter Day !

+ Reply to Thread