+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retailers Drop Invasive Species

Blog Entries

Retailers Drop Invasive Species

http://www.nature.org/magazine/sprin...isc/index.html

This is very interesting. It is refereshing to see retailers take responsibility. Many buyers have no idea what is invasive and what isn't. Norway maple..invasive ? I didn't know that !
    I did see campsis radicans at Wally World tonight and thought..no way..no hummingbird vine ever !

Along somewhat differnt lines...I have read that local big box stores are selling grape varieties specifically not recommended by the extension office for this region. How nice it would be if they would synch up with regional recommendations.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, That is a complaint I also have against the box stores. The plants are not always hardy for the area they are sold in. That's why I prefer local small nurseries that grow most of their own plants.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    The very worst offender for selling garden plants that are not hardy for the area they are being sold in is good old Wal-Mart. They also don't know or care if it also happens to be an invasive plant that is hardy.

We won't even discuss that 90% f the "associates" who work the WM Garden Centers don't know the difference between an annual or a perennial or that a large potted plant actually LABELED as a TROPICAL Patio plant is not HARDY in Zone 5 (my zone.

Plants come in in color coded pots, terra-cotta for full sun and gray for shade and they all sit in the full sun on hot black top. Then can't figure out why the plants burn up in the sun when they do actually water them. Sitting them up on skids doesn't help either.

I am thrilled to see Meijer has taken the lead in doing something about this, but I wonder how long Wal-Mart will put profits about common sense and good customer care.

They view selling plants as a convenience service, you know, their one stop shopping, but don't do anything to really build a strong base for return business by properly staging and caring for the plants they stock or hiring people who know enough to be able to really give customer service in the Garden Centers. And often when they do have people working there that do know what they are talking about they are kept so busy doing other things that they aren't available to assist a customer. Wal-Mart Management is more interested in the "big - ticket" items then in the small stuff that actually bring the customers in.

Rant, rave, rant. . . . .can you tell I have a problem with Wal-Mart's Garden Centers?! And before someone jumps in here and knocks me in the head with a clay flower pot, notice I did say 90% as there are a few stores whose Manager have more common sense than others and they do have really great Garden Centers, with well cared for plants and knowledgeable associates working there to help their customers make good selections. Unfortunately, none of them are around me.

O-kay, I'm none now, will run for cover while I can!

Rebecca

I totally agree rebecca. It was the same when I was unfortunate enough to have to work at KMart. I used to get so mad. No one in the garden center even cared, much less knew anything. I used to get a lot of empty pots there.
    Lowe's takes better care of their plants but is really bad to sell plants not suited to the zone. Mass marketing. I guess they send the same plants to all the stores regardless of zone. I try to buy as many of my plants local if I can.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread