+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glub, glub...

Blog Entries

Glub, glub...

It has been raining for 2 weeks now ! I hope all the trees are stocking up for summer. Everything is doing great. Two daylilies that I thought were dead ..aren't ! It's the magic of rain !
    But...I can't plant...just in pots.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Whacky Weather!!

I think this is what it is called...

If you look at our rainfall averages for March, you would see that it is normally our highest month of rainfall.

But not this year... We have a burn ban due to lack of rain.

Here we go again! Another strange year....

Enjoy the rain! I do believe this is the best time of the year for rain, and I should never, ever complain about March floods again!

I promise!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We have had one of the warmest Marches on record but no rain. Was supposed to last night but it just rained a few drops. We also have a burning ban and have haad a couple of fires in the area. Hoping it will rain tomorrow, as forecast. We even had thunder last night just no rain. It is the weekend so maybe it will rain.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I wish I could send it your way....believe me ! Sunday is supposed to be sunny and then..back to the rain !
    I will make a point to look up at the sky tonight and tell the rain to swing by TN and AL !

Austin is getting another round of heavy rain and so far this year we are over double our average rainfall to date. Seems like April showers have come a month early. The good news is the local lakes that were in drought condition have risen substantially from 25 ft below normal to only 7 ft. below normal now so nobody is complaining.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

It has been the opposite here. Normally, March is when we get the flooding rains, but we are WAY below normal on rainfall this month.

It is supposed to rain on Sunday (70%), so I am counting on that.. (Thank you, Cathy, for sending it our way!)

Despite the lack of rain, everything, including the fig and pecan trees are starting to sprout leaves. To my amazement (every year), the brugs have grown tremendously in the last week.

I am starting to see a few antique roses in bloom, and the crinums are starting to grow. I even found a canna in the ground in an area that I had the potted canna, but never planted one in the ground there, so it has to be moved.

Spring is DEFINITELY here, and surely it will be up north soon!

Lots of daylily leaves, but no sign of a scape, YET!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi All,
    We have had moderate rain here. A few days of sunshine and a few days of rainy weather. Things are popping up nicely here. The forsythia is about ready to open and the early daffidols are blooming. It has been in the high 50' mid sixties. Very nice for this time of year in MI. A year ago on my daughters bday, (march 23rd) we had 2' ft. of snow on the ground.
    Been busy working and enjoying it!

Happy Spring,
    Vicki

Blog Entries
    Woke up to seeing the pond filled up to the point where the grass meets the edge. Strong blowing winds. And it's chilly...46 degrees. I was worried last night as puddles joined and my daylilies looked to be in peril ! I am glad that a daylily friend advised planting them high--that is on top of small mounds. That helped for awhile. Today the water is soaked into the ground for the most part. I hope we don't get high temps or we might get daylily disease like rot. Antway. I am sending rain but I might also be inadvertently sending lower temps as well.

I dug up three huge canna rhisomes that escaped the pot (through the holes). The dirt is hard, hard and dry!

I need rain to soften my soil so that I can start putting plants in the ground. I've spent the day weeding these potted plants (daylilies and cannas) so that when the time comes, they CAN find their home.

I also have about 8 deep trays of daylily seedings that need to come out of the greenhouse, but it is so dry, I'm afraid that unless they are in bigger pots or in the ground (which is where they are goin), they will dry out too quickly and die.

At this point, we simply need rain! A cool spell afterwards would feel nice as long as it doesn't get much below 50. We are cosnistantly having highs in the lower 80s. Quite warm for this time of the year.

I'd better get back to transplanting these amaryllis seedlings in order to make room for more (under the fluorescents).

I'm going to do the daylily seeds (Rebecca gave me) the same way that I did last year. Soak for a few days and plant in deep cell trays. That seems to have worked quite well.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    How many seeds do you put per cell and how deep/wide are the cells ? I'm alwsays benchmarking !

One seed per cell, Cathy!

Each cell pak has 6 cells measuring 2" X 2.25" and 3.5" deep. There are 6 of these cell paks in a flat.

Not as good as 4" pots, but a lot easier to handle and take less space in the greenhouse.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread