+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Variegated Shrimp Plant

Variegated Shrimp Plant

While I am at it, I figured that it would be nice to have this photo on this forum in addition to the weather forum.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, any possibility of getting some cuttings of this beautiful shrimp plant from you when we trade our Amaryllis? They would have to be kept pretty moist in transit but my wife really loves shrimp plant and this variety looks extraordinary.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

We can sure give it a try, Bob!

This one has bloomed and bloomed and bloomed this year. It is still blooming.

I had planned to make some cuttings after it finishes blooming (WHEN it does). I'll be sure to make some extras for you, just in case the freshly cut one doesn't make it.

BTW, I have managed to find a few seeds in the yellow one before, but I never tried to sow them. I was just curious as to what the seeds look like. They are larger than I expected.

When I take the cuttings, I will look to see if there are any seeds. They are usually hidden in the bract looking things. I haven't tried to hand pollinate it. I should do that some day, perhaps with a red or yellow one, huh?

You will like this one, Bob, and no doubt that your wife will adore the blooms. They are spectacular!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi - I'm new here, and recently bought a variegated shrimp plant less than two months ago, and noticed the other day that its also getting ready to bloom (four of them!) I am so excited. I saw the speckling on the blooms, and was shocked! I expected the blooms to just look like red or pink shrimp, and only the foliage would be variegated. My blooms like just like yours. I'm just delighted! They are thrilling little plants, aren't they?

Randi

Welcome to Landspro, Randi!

Guess what?!??!

Mine are still blooming. They just bloom and bloom and bloom!

Such a thrill to see them...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, the cuttings you sent seem to be rooting well. Should be potting them this week in fact. I am excited about all the raving comments about this plant and hope to have the cuttings you sent blooming by the end of summer.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Mine are still blooming! I should take some more cuttings, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I was a little worried that perhaps I lost this one due to enclosing the porch in plastic so late.

Today, I was pulling out the dreaded wandering jew that just will not go away, and I spotted the beginnings of a bloom, then I spotted the leaves. I suspect that it lost some of its leaves, but hopefully not the branches. I do enjoy this one. It blooms almost the year around and other than getting too cold a couple of times, it seems to like where I have it.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I hope it is surviving. I am partial to them though they probably wouldn't be happy in the blazing summer heat here.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Ann...question on your shrimp plant. I had it in yellow and red...4 feet tall and SUPER invasive. Has that not been a problem for you? Is yours potted? Same result with Purple Mexican Petunia.....can't stop it either.
    Patsy

Patsy,

The shrimp plant is in a pot. There are many blooms right now, but the foliage is lacking, so at last I know that it is alive.

I have never tried any of them in the ground, so I don't know if they are invasive here. I have red, yellow and the variegated.

I have maintained Mexican Petunia in a pot and yes, I am afraid that this would might be invasive.

Invasive, anything is truly a problem in my gardens...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread