+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orchids Anyone?

Orchids Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone else is as interested in orchids as I am. It's taken me a few years to understand, grow and nurture orchids and other than amaryllis, african violets and passiflora, they are a real passion. I was hoping there might enough interest that we could get our own forum here on Landspro. I am a member of GardenWeb and though they have a an Orchid forum, it seems very snobby. Being a regular on the Florida Forum there, many of us grow orchids, and I find my best advice there. Plus I love sharing my blooms.
    Here's some

I prob didn't do all the photos right but it's worth a shot!
    CindeeA

Cindee, I don't have a good place to grow orchids but I fund them so unique. I have one at work that I am caring for that my client got for Valentine's day. How do I take care of it to keep it alive?
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Cindee- Lovely photos. Fragrance or not; I can easily imagine that they are fragrant !
    Oh boy, did I have orchid questions about 2 years ago. I only have what I have bought for my mother and they are in Florida. Last year I visited Juno Beach Orchids and Kenni Judd repotted them for me.
    http://www.jborchids.com/

I will scrounge up my link from 2 years ago.

That being said, it wouldn't take much to entice me into an orchid forum. I know that we actually have an orchid club here in Wichita.

found it:
    http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...hlight=orchids

Since that time, I bought another one called, I think, Peruvian something, but when I search all I find are dogs(as in bow-wow). It's yellow with red spots.

Found it:
    http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orch..._peruvian.html
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Decades ago I grew Orchids. Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedilums, Oncidiums and some from the Cattleya family. My favorites were the Phals, Paphs and the miniature or "Dancing Lady" Oncidiums, Those were easy to grow in windows and under the lights (and sometimes both - windows with additional lighting).

Ah, yes, those were the good old days! Even tried my hand at hybridizing a few Phalaenopsis. Even raised a few to bloom. Don't have a single one of them any more. Gave them all away.

All I have left of the "good old days" in a little intergeneric miniature that I haven't manages to kill yet, guess it's 30 years old now, if not a bit older, and it generally blooms every summer after it goes out under the red bud tree. Seems to really like it there.

I do have a couple of Phals I bought at Wal-Mart a couple years ago, but they only try to bloom, the basement it too cold and the upstairs is too dry. they'll go outside too and might even bloom. Oh, and I have a few miniature Dendrobiums, but they haven't bloomed in years and I am not even sure why they are still alive. Several did die when the neighbor left my basement door open and the back door during a particularly cold spell. Also killed my oldest and dearest Tropical Hibiscus and my ancient Madagascar Palm. I have a two year old cutting from the Hibiscus, so at least I didn't lose it completely, but I doubt I will be able to get it as big and gnarled as the mother plant was,

Oh well, I digress. . . . I'd like to have a few orchids again, if I can fix a proper place to grow them. I'd like to try the Paphs again, those are so different and so pretty. I especially liked the green and white ones ('Maude' or something like that is the one I had that I remember). the mini-Phals would be cool too! Thse that have been bred from P. equestris or even just that one. Most of the species Phals just get too big to grow them well under house conditions. The little mini-Oncidiums would be neat too, with their arching sprays of tiny ballerinas. They'd even fit into a 55 gallon fish tank converted into a terrarium. Next to the mini-African Violet and the small "Pony Tail Palms" I already have growing in it.

So, yes, I'd be interested in an Orchid Forum and, who knows, might even be able to contribute some sage advice once in awhile!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Having grown up in Sarasota, FL, I have developed a love for orchids but limit myself to a dozen or less actual plants - those that prove to be the most prolific and regular bloomers and relatively easy to grow. My big thing is bromeliads and of course, where you can grow broms, you can grow orchids - same native enviromnents and growing conditions. Orchids have been hybridized soooooooo much that it's almost impossible to keep up with what's available, not to mention the fact that new species are being discovered at sadly a lesser rate than they are being destroyed by rainforest destruction.

One of the most useful sites to me on info about orchids is: http://retirees.uwaterloo.ca/~jerry/orchids/osites.html
    which ironically is a Canadian site.

I have some orchids that have bloomed constantly year round, some that bloom 4x a year and others that reliably bloom at least once annually.

Being the plant generalist that I am, of course I have to have some orchids as part of my overall plant collection. You can see the ones I have at this site - scroll down to "orchids"

http://www.southeasttexasgardening.info/plantlist.htm
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries

Off to FL: Orchids need help to bloom

I am off to Fl this weekend. Mom has indicated that she is perplexed with her orchids not blooming. She has 3 different ones(as noted above): an Lc. cattelya, a phal and an Ontocidium Hybrid. If I'm lucky I'll be able to tell them apart(I think 1 still has a label). Anyway, all 3 are grouped together and we want them to bloom. Any pointers ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Orchids are heavy feeders and need at least monthly spraying with Peters 20-20-20, or equivalent fertilizer. I suggest looking at the internet reference I posted earlier as I believe they have cultural information about all three types of orchids. It is not good to group them unless you know for sure their cultural requirements are the same. (light, water, fertilizer, etc.).
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread