+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tornados

Blog Entries

Tornados

Ann- Where are you in relation to Enterprise ?
    I see warnings through the night including the Mobile area. Stay safe !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Enterprise is near Dothan, AL which is in the southeast portion of Alabama. I traveled to Dothan a lot in my former career (Sony is there), and my heart breaks...

When I first read the news, I thought about our numerous tornado drills. The students took them seriously as I described when I was in my 20's, living in Dallas, TX and receiving the dreaded phone call that my parents and niece were in a Honda Civic that was picked up by one of these tornadoes. They were saved by a Chevrolet Impala that was also lifted from the ground. The Cheverolet hit the Honda, and they were knocked out of the winds into a ditch.

My Dad was the only one badly injured, but he survived after a long time in the hospital and surgeries for repair. My niece (one year old at the time) and my Mom were not harmed.

I tell my students this story every time we have to go through a tornado drill, and they DO KNOW that I am quite SERIOUS about it!

Tears are in my eyes as I hear the news of this tragedy.

We are safe. I am safe. We had 10 minutes left of tutoring (after school) and were told to go HOME because of impending storms.

The worst went north of us.

Thanks for thinking of me, but I feel pain in my heart about the tragedy in Enterprise, AL.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I never knew that had happened. It sounds like it came from nowhere. I have been on the road during a warning. I have stupidly parked under gas station island awnings which are no protection at all. I must admit I was thinking hail damage and not the possible tornado that might accompany it.
    It is important to always keep these incidents in peoples' minds to avoid complacency.
    I am so glad your family, though injured, faired well !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

We had a tornado drill this afternoon. It was during my largest and most difficult class. They make these kids stay on there knees with their hands covering their heads for what seems like forever, and the most difficult part is that I have a small room with 30 students and they are packed side by side in the kneeling position.

That lasts about 15 minutes, and my students did as told. I did warn them, however, that if the real thing occurs, I will not be going around saying "Heads down", "Hands over back of head", "Down" for very long. I'll be down there with them!

God love them! They did just fine, and my heart is still breaking about the Enterprise students.

I have not been able to get in touch with Ray, my elderly neighbor that moved to Millers Ferry (to a double wide mobile home). I am worried about him, but will keep trying.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

It really is quite tragic about the students who lost their lives in the Enterprise Tornado as well as the other people who were also killed by it. Seems a time for tragedies this week as there was also a bus accident involving a school baseball team in which several players were killed along with the driver and his wife as well as several more being seriously injured when the driver somehow managed to flip the bus off of an over pass during a heavy rain.

Then I found out that David, my next door neighbor, who is only in his mid 30's has liver cancer. The doctors aren't able to tell him much, but he seems to be dealing with it as well as can be expected. What a bummer of a week. I had heard about it from the neighbor whose kids I watch and then he actually came over the other day to check on me! I had wanted to go see him, but wasn't sure how to approach the subject. It was quite a shock to see him after not having seen him since late fall. The only other time I saw him he so well bundled up you could see how emaciated he is. Although he is keeping a positive outlook I know that this type of cancer is a very serious one.

Hope you will find your brother keeping well and safe. I will keep him in my prayers as well as everyone else who has had tragedy strike their families and friend this week.

Blessed Be all y'all, Blessed Be.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread