+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spring Surprises

Blog Entries
    *** sigh*** Thank you Ann !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oooooooh!

What a TREAT!!!! I thought you might like to see this...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And looky here...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I never saw the shrimp plant bloom up close-neato!

Yes, spring has come much earlier than normal this year in TX. Although all my tropicals are out of the greenhouse and mostly planted in the garden already, I haven't been able to work in the yard the past few days due to 4+" of rain which is another surpising blessing this year. Central TX has been in a three year drought and lake levels were down to 50% of capacity, but this recent rain has turned that trend around plus the outdoor plants are loving it.

Ann, I believe the picture above is Loropetalum, correct?
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Indeed, it is Loropetalum, Bob! It's sort of a long term commitment to Cathy to root a cutting for her. I rooted some, but they didn't do well. My fault, so I need to try again.

Dogwoods are in full bloom as well as Redbuds. Azaleas are showing up all over the place. Best of all, the grass is getting green again, and I don't mean just the weeds.

I'm trying my best to be patient about the plastic on the porch. I want to take it off so badly, but I'm making myself wait, just in case. It's not worth taking the chance.

The plants that I took out of the greenhouse are getting a much needed shower this afternoon, and I haven't looked at the weather forecast to see if we have more on the way.

Graduation Exams were last week. End of the quarter is this week, so I've been jumping through hoops and working OT.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Our February thaw is here now and the Snow Crocus are trying to bloom and the daylilies are trying to get started, unfortunately, we have that awful white stuff in the forecast for Sunday. Winter always has one last word in mid-March, but then spring should be here in full force and all the spring bulbs will start blooming here. I am seeing a lot of daffodils and tulips making their presence known. No seeds sprouting yet, but that's o-kay as it is a bit early for them.

The daylilies have all have their blankets of leaves removed in an attempt to avoid problems with crown rot - so far so good. a little worried about a few new comers from last summer, but will not panic, yet.

I've been rather lax about up loading new images to the Digital Art gallery, but have made quite a few and I now have the very first of the 2007 images in a folder on my hard drive and have yet to down load all of last years to CD - I am really behind and for no good reason!

Life goes on here in Lebanon, although not as easily as I would hope. Sue knows the details and can fill you in privately if you ask her. It looks like I will soon be going to the library to access the Internet, so if you don't hear from me you'll know one of the reasons why. All I will say is Thank God Spring is just about here.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

The lows of in the lower 40s for the last week in March have been replaced with mid 50s.

It is definitely time to get ready to remove the plastic.

I do believe that spring is here for me, and I hope that means an early spring for everyone!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I moved all my potted lilium outside against the house.
    So, I am betting on no lows lower then mid-40's. Rain is predicted all week--spotty not constant.
    (I took off today(comp day) and had a 3 day weekend. Saturday was a little slow as I was recovering from working long hours but I did alot between Saturday and Sunday and this morning.)

I just can't believe this spring we have had since March 1st - well above normal temperatures and good rains to boot. I have my gardens completely planted, including tropicals in the outdoor beds and now, not much to do but enjoy seeing new growth every day I stroll through the yard. Even Crepe Myrtles are breaking bud in mid March! We have nothing but lows in the 60's and highs in upper 70's predicted for the week ahead - and more rain being promised to help our long term drought. Our winter was relatively short and not too severe.

My Durantas - a semi-tropical plant which died back to the ground, made it through the winter here - coming up from the well mulched roots. Glad they made it. Still have some worries about a few plants that are showing no sign of life yet, but they are replaceable, e.g. Barbados poinciana and a few cycads that lost their foliage, but should re-emerge with warmer weather.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    I wonder what summer has in store for us. I am glad that the winter was a wet one as that always helps.
    It is so tempting to follow the weather instead of the calendar when it comes to gardening chores and becomes a roll of the dice. So far, so good.
    Crepe Myrtle in bloom in mid-March is just wild !
    Sounds like thanks to the early spring, you'll have that much longer to enjoy the garden !

Big mistunderstanding here. The Crepe Myrtles have just broken their leaf buds - no way would they be blooming yet. To me, it is exciting just to see dormant and deciduous plants getting new foliage.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    LOL! These days(with the crazy waether) I'd believe anything.

It's too bad that we all live so far away from each other!

We could have a 'remove the plastic' party this weekend. Instead, it looks like I'll be doing that by myself. I tried to convince my brother to come help, but he is too far away.

Still, I am so very excited about removing all of it. I can't wait to move the plants out of there and have room to move around.

Blooming amaryllis will stay under cover, for hybridization reasons primarily.

Brugs are going in the ground, and I have promised to ship a few.

It is SO, SO very much easier to turn on the sprinklers and water outside rather than in the patio/porch.

Everyone, I know most of you have to wait, but like Bob said, our winter is definitely OVER!

Yours will be too, SOON!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I may regret it, but the plastic is DOWN, and oh, is that so very nice!

Look what I found? It's the hardy orchid that produced seeds for me last year. Since I missed getting pictures of it last year, I ran back inside to get my camera.

Such a tiny beauty...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast