+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spring Surprises

Blog Entries

Spring Surprises

Well it really isn't spring yet but...
    It was high 60's; maybe 70 today.
    I walked around and surveyed the plants. I was happy to see many daylilies peeking through; some even flourishing--super evergreens no doubt. Of course, some are scarey: Real Wind looked Real Dead but is probbaly really Dormant !
    Two big surprises: Lycoris in a pot wrapped with bubble wrap sprouting with wild abandon AND....daffodils that I put in a pot last year and that I thought hadn't made it through summer...were sprouting !
    Sigh ! I love these sneak peak pre-spring days !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

We are having unbelievable weather in Austin this week. Today is the second straight day for 80 degree high and lows are staying in the 50's. Of course we could use some of that promised but never delivered El Nino rain. The entire 7 day forecast looks like above normal temps but none of my dormant perennials or decidious plants appear to be fooled by it so far. I agree, those first signs of new life in spring are sooooooo stimulating! I think this weather is a conspiracy to bring out the worst of our spring fever symptoms
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Today is our first day to reach 80 (or perhaps above)...

When I arrived home this afternoon, I was greeted with lots more daffodil smiles, and that is so wonderful to see. I was beginning to fear that they wouldn't bloom because they have become so crowded over the years.

Right now, I am leaving the little greenhouse door open at night. I don't know how long I'll be able to do that before the next cold spell, but it sure is nice...

The next few days shouldn't be quite that warm, and I do see a dip in the forecast around March 1. So, I won't be letting my guard down anytime soon.

Still, it is nice to have sunshine and a little warmth after that bitter cold.

Cathy, Lycoris stay 'green' here all winter then disappear during the warm days of late spring. Before winter, the blooms emerge followed by the 'green' leaves that somehow survive below freezing temps.

Those pretty leaves are a welcome sight when almost everything else is dormant...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    That silly old lycoris is acting like it is in Alabama(south side of house ;-)
    Found some peony sprouts from a WM peony tuber I thought was dead.
    I love finding sruff like that !

Cathy,

My Lycoris are showing signs of starting to die back. They do that as soon as spring arrives and stay dormant until they bloom again, later in the year. They are amazing bulbs. The foliage is so pretty in the winter, and even those really bad cold spells that we had did absolutely no damage to the pretty leaves.

My paperwhites have finished blooming. Daffodils are probably at their peak now. Lorepetalum is in bloom. Yes, I know! I still need to get you rooted cuttings of those. I think of you every time I see the blooms.

My hydrangeas' buds are starting to leaf out.

Daylilies are popping up all over the place, and I don't know what this next frost/freeze (tonight, tomorrow night) is going to do to them, but that happens every year, so I am not worried.

My older amaryllis in protected areas are popping up buds like crazy! Some of those are in dire need of repotting. I keep looking for scapes on my babies, but none so far -- just a LOT of leaves.

My Carolina Jasmine is blooming, but a lot of the older vines died after the hurricanes, so it will be cut back drastically this spring. Strange thing is, this is the first year that I have seen Carolina Jasmine popping up all over the place in my beds. I guess the winds scattered the seeds and they obviously self sowed to the point of almost being invasive. I won't ever be without that vine.

My passiflora in the porch are growing like weeds, so I know they are still alive.

And this is a treat, variegated shrimp plant (protected, obviously) is in bloom.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    OOOO, shrimp plants ! I am ga-ga over shrimp plants. Thanks for the neat photo !

So, do I!

The temps dropped down to 30 degrees this morning, but not for long. It was in the upper 60s this afternoon. 36 is forecasted for tomorrow morning, and after that, the next two weeks are warm. I think I even saw some highs in the 80s.

Watch ya wanna bet that we go from cool to downright HOT again?

I am ready, and I am ready for longer days and more daylight in the evening hours...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We're having the same weather and forecast as you Ann. I think the freezing threat is over for this year. Our problem is the extreme dryness and no rain. Our humidity today was 12 percent! I took advantage of mid 70's to dig a little and prepare a small new bed near our front entry. Spring is busting out all over - Bradford pears now blooming along with Redbuds and perennials popping up daily from their winter disappearance act.
    We're looking at predicted lows in the 60's and highs in the upper 70's later this week. I am thinking about bringing plants out of the greenhouse already.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

If I get home in time tomorrow, I'll be taking plants BACK out of the greenhouse. I had them out for awhile, but put them back inside for this cold spell.

There appears to be a very good chance that our winter is OVER. I sure hope so...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The next two weeks are forecasted to be in the 70s, most will be in the upper seventies with lows in the upper 50s.

Gee! It would be nice to know for sure because I would LOVE to take this plastic off my porch and start moving all of the plants outside.

If I did that, though, it would be my luck to have one of those unusual April 1st frost/freezes. So, I must force myself to WAIT!

Azaleas are starting to bloom, and what a wonderful sight that is...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I'm banking on the future forecast which ironically is the same for Austin as yours in Mobile. I have not only removed plants from the greenhouse, they are going in the ground! I am potting bougainvillea for outdoor display today. What an exhilirating feeling to be doing this.

The "Lightning Strike" toad lillies I got from you have established themselves well over winter and coming up like gangbusters.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

They multiply like crazy, don't they?

Most of my toad lilies have started popping up. I'm still waiting on a couple to see if they survived.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My brugs have sprouted at the base of the trunks. I always look at those as a sign that spring has arrived. Unfortunately, they have been known to be frost bitten while only 6" high.

Anyway, I removed the mulch for now to let them grow. I'm always thrilled to see them.

I have worked outside most of the day. Nice weather...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

82 degrees today...

Cathy, This is a picture taken especially for YOU!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It will be a long time before we see 82. We do have some lower 70's in the forcast this week. Yeah! It has been nice today so I got out and worked some. Planted seeds in my flower boxes and potted the Stargazer I bought this week. Set up the new bird bath and did a little yard cleaning. It felt so good to be outside working.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast