+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pink Penta

Pink Penta

This one has lived on the patio for a few years now. It was originally given to me by my neighbor, Ray, who has since moved. Gee, I miss him and Carolyn, but I have lots of memories that I treasure....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Penta is a favorite with the nurseries here in Wichita. It can be found used in large masses at the entrance to our local arboretum. I believe it is also a butterfly attractor. It is an annual here though which is unfortunate.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

Trim it back and bring it inside, put it near a window, and you'll have it again for next year.

I have a red one too, but it is in the greenhouse and tends to dry out to quick. Oh, I have a red one in the porch, too. It's not as big as the pink one, though!

Still, they bloom and bloom and bloom! They seem to like lots to drink, so don't let them completely dry out.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yeah, finally something on this forum other than amaryllis and daylilies to talk about

Pentas are a favorite of mine as well for adding color and attrracting butterflies into the garden in summer. I merely root cuttings to overwinter in my GH or as Ann said, can be overwintered indoors near a bright window. I perfer the variety with variegated foliage (wouldn't you know that coming from me) and deep red blooms. I know there is also a white flowering variety so if you can mix the white, pink and red together, it's a real splash of color. It is a tropical evergreen, sub-tropical perennial, and temperate and colder zone annual. Pictured is the variegated pentas.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Very pretty, Bob!!

And somehow, I should have known. LOL!

I tried to take a picture of my big pear tree. It is covered with white bloooms. Unfortunately, the sun is so bright that the photo wasn't clear at all...

Don't worry! It will soon be time for MORE than Hippeastrums, but after that, BEWARE! Daylilies will come back strong!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I adore these pentas, but dare I grow them outside? I know that they would most likely survive, but I can't imagine being without these year around blooms.

I should take cuttings and plant those in the ground, leaving this Mama plant protect so that I can enjoy her all year long....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread