+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To cut or not to cut roses back

To cut or not to cut roses back

This weather has me wondering again .. when is the best time to cut my roses back ... live fairly near Dallas Tex as far as the area. We were 70s yesterday and 42 right now. We had ice a week ago .. so who knows?

Suggestions?

jim

Hi Jim, Bob Beyer from NW Austin here. This is the proper time to prune roses, before new growth appears in spring. Don't let the temperature fluctuation or winter weather deter you. A general rule is to never remove more than 1/3rd of the plant at any pruning unless necessary to regain control of the plant's size or shape. You can get some good hints from your local County Master Gardener organization or visit the Texas A&M horticulture web page called "Aggie Horticulture". We also experienced the same odd weather as you here in Austin, just a little bit warmer though.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Thanks Bob,

Was thinking it was time .. I know the weather is flaky this year ... 70s yesterday 30s tonight ... and not sure for tomorrow. Am ready for Spring.

Jim

Wow Jim, 70 sounds like spring to me. We were thrilled to have 30 for our high last week.
    BTW ,Jim, I just broke down and bought a new computer. It is a Compaq and I am very happy with it. I got a good deal since the new models were getting ready to come out. Sometimes it is just easier to start from scratch.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Jim- I had rabbits prune my rose for me back in November. I'm hoping they knew what they were doing !

Sue- Compaq? Me too..about 2 months ago ! We still had Win 98 ! It was a pain for hubby having to copy files off the hard drive of the old pc and also getting many of his on-line pay for services back up and running. And, oh boy, Quicken was a dirty word around here for at least 2 weeks(it's not very 'portable').
    When I heard about Vista the other day, I thought, hey wait a minute are things gonna change again. But it sounds like Vista isn't suppported by any on-line pay for service apps yet.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, Lucky for me I didn't have a lot of files on the old one to have to transfer. I have a free upgrade for Vista but haven't ordered it yet. Should be interesting.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread