+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lasagna gardening

Lasagna gardening

Does any do 'lasagna gardening'? How did it turn out for you?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki, I have this book and found it interesting. I started doing this but found It takes a lot of material. I started layering and before I could get much done it all blew away. I think it would work well if I had chosen a smaller area and had all my materials together before I started.
    tennessee sue

I've been collecting the 'stuff' to try it this spring...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I just can't get past the no digging part. The soil here is very sandy (compacted) and I take off the top layer (hopefully alot of weed seeds) modify double dig and layer my newspapers and stuff on top putting a layer of compost between each one. This has worked wonderful for me.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

My biggest problem is making sure that everything gets a good 'foothold' until the heavy spring rains. I think that the lasagna gardening approach will help me create raised beds that will be less likely to 'wash away' once established.

What do you think?

BTW, I have clay under the top soil, and that is another reason for raising beds on things that need good drainage.

I have wanted to try it for years, so now is the time. In order to keep things from washing away during heavy March rains, I have been preparing areas lined with concrete blocks and bricks. At least they will have a chance if we do have one of those horrid 4-5" per hour rains.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread