+ Reply to Thread

Thread: variegated plants

variegated plants

What are some of your favorite variegated plants????
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Bob is our expert on variegated plants, so I hope that he will provide input.

I have quite a few and can't seem to pass up any that I find.

I have the Frosty Morn Sedum, but experience tells me that this one will sometimes lose its variegation after going dormant (herbaceous).

Anyone else notice this?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki and all,

Variegated plants are a real passion with me mainly because I love the way they add color to the garden with blooming plants are not blooming. Regardless of what climate zone you may live in, there are beautiful variegated varieties of plants for every garden. Here in Austin, Zone 8b/9a, I can't grow my favorite variegated plant but loved growing them in Chattanooga, TN many years ago - HOSTAS. I could go on forever with show and tell about variegated plants but it would be impossible to choose a faorite. I love them all What I will do is post some variegated varieties of plants I am growing in Austin that would also make it in the north as well.

I'll start off with variegated Eleagnus - a definite favorite of mine. The variegated varieties of Eleagnus grow MUCH slower that the non-variegated and are not a maintenance problem. They are evergreen, durable to many different gardening conditions and very colorful, even in shade. The varieties I have pictured include "hosobo fukurin", "Maculata" and "x ebbengii gilt edge'. I have been looking for years to acquire 'Fredericii'. If anyone can help me there, please let me know. I can trade a Maculata or Hosobo fukurin for a Fredericii. Eleagnus is listed as a Zone 7 plant.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

You probably already have this one, but I thought I would mention it. I'm not sure of the hardiness.

I have a variegated Gardenia that has survived the last couple of winters outside in a pot. It is evergreen. I think it is Gardenia augusta 'Variegata'.

There is another one that has more white variegation that I would someday like to try, but for now, I'm really pleased with this one. It's nice to see variegated foliage in the winter months.

Vicki,

Another one of my favorites is the variegated hydrangia, but I know that one is not hardy in your zone.

I wonder if the variegated Rose of Sharon would survive? Bob traded that one with me for something that I had.

Also, there is the variegated Tricyrtis (sort of) that I traded with him. To tell you the truth, I don't have much time to trade, but Bob is very good at that and has collected some wonderful plants that way.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki. I like some of the variegated euonymous varieties. I like the one with white on green. Right now I am blank on the name.
    I've noticed in the last couple of years there are more and more common plants coming out with variegated varieties. I've also noticed that sometimes the varigation is uneven or isn't there the next year. Sometimes I think the varigation takes away from the blooms of some flowering plants. But not always.
    I have anObedient plant with very pretty variegation. It is new so I can't say yet how it will do. I do like the variegated Solomon's Seal. I have a variegated wall flower that is very pretty and is still has leaves on it. It bloomd all summer last year. As the blooms are above the foliage it makes a very colorful plant. I like it. I think I got it at Lowe's. I will try to get a picture of it this summer as the blooms are very pretty as they are different colors. I do need to move it to more sun. It leans toweard the sunny side of the house.
    tennessee sue

BTW Vicki, how is the variegated hardy geranium doing that you got from your Garden Friends last year. I would like to see a picture of it. Hardy Geraniums are among my favorite plants. That pineapple mint should also be variegated. Try some tea out of it, garnished with a fresh pineapple wedge. Yummm
    tennessee sue

Ann, I couldn't grow the variegated Gardenia you are referring to successfully in Houston and certainly couldn't in Austin - our soils are alkaline to neutral and Gardenias thrive on acidic soils,

The variegated Rose of Sharon should be very hardy where Vicki lives. My plant is quite small as I had to start over from cuttings when moving to Austin but hope to propagate it this year so I can have a few to trade and share.

I am trying the variegated Weigela florida in Austin and think it will grow ok here in spite of the extremely hot summers. It gets cold enough here to satisfy it for spring bloom.

I discovered a neat variegated Abelia grandiflora called "White Marvel" last year. There are several variegated cultivars of Abelia but I particularly like this one.

You can look at my plant list at www.houstongardening.info/plantlist.htm
    to see what other variegated plants I have. There is a column that identifies them e.g. Var., "yes".

Always looking for new variegated plants to try
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Rosa verschuren

Here is a rose with variegated foliage - a species, not a cultivar. In addition to the lightly variegated foliage, the bloom is a soft and fragrant pink.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

My variegated weigelia is growing in filtered shade. It would actually do better in full sun, or so I have been told.

I have a couple of potted cuttings that ready for the garden. Just haven't had time to plant them.

It is a pretty plant. The blooms are not spectacular. I like the blooms of other varieties more, but the foliage is quite nice!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Sue,
    I'm hoping the geranium made it through the winter. It is under about 2 1/2' of snow right now, so we will have to wait a few more weeks. Spring is inching closer.
    Bob, I love the variegated toad lily that you have on your site. Gilt edge. Very pretty, I will have to keep an eye open for it.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread