+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any idea from description ?

Blog Entries

Any idea from description ?

Until I take 7 more photos on my disposable camera, all I have is a description. I did bring home a baby plant but it is far from the adult coloing. Think Floridian. This plant has gorgeous glowing raspberry leaves about a foot long and somewhat narrow. It can grow up to 6 feet tall. It spreads by underground roots. The stem is soft wood and quite narrow--about 1-2 inches and 'ringed' with circular ridges.
    The baby plant only has red outlining the leabes--the interiors are dark .
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    I found it and an awesome website. Hawaiian Ti Plant.
    The plant apparently has lots of color variations but the ones my Mom has grow quite tall and look more like this photo(glowing raspberry full-colored leaves):
    http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/..._fruticosa.htm
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, I used to buy "Ti logs". They were about 4" long. and grew Ti plants. I haven't seen them in years. I don't remember them ever being so colorful. Very pretty!
    tennessee sue

When we traveled to Hawaii, these plants were everywhere - all different color variations and sizes. Unless they get strong light, they won't look like the catalogs or website photos. I have found them to be very sensitive to the chemicals in city water supplies (causes a leaf tip burn appearance), These are not subtropical plants, they are 100% tropical and require temps above 50 degrees and probably would die at 40 degrees. I have had trouble growing this plant well so have chosen to focus on other tropicals.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

I left one of the purple ones outside a year or so ago. It was in a pot that most of the soil had washed out. I was amazed to see new growth after several freezes. It did die back entirely to the soil level.

Before being frozen back, there were 3 stems. After it came back, there were many. If I get a chance, I will count the stems this weekend.

It doesn't look great, and I still haven't repotted it. So, I will probably repot it this spring, cut all the foliage and see what happens. I may even plant it in a more protected area in the ground and see if it comes back.

They are not expensive plants here, so they are easily replaced.

When I lived in San Antonio, I grew one from one of the 'logs'. It was simply green, though and not the pretty purple. I have seen gorgeous pictures of all sorts of rainbow colors of these beauties.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I was really referring to foliage on the plant dying at 40 degrees or below, but that must be one tough plant to survive a freeze. It had to have a mini microenvironment that protected the underground stem and roots. With limited GH space for overwintering tropicals, I just have never felt I had the extra space to support a Ti Plant among my limited tropical collection but you may have convinced me to try one this year.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread