+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rose seeds

Threaded View

Rose seeds

Hello everyone,
    Yesterday was a lovely day (I swear it felt like it was 70 degrees outside!) and while outside with my children I noticed seeds on my Peace rose. I thought it would make hips but I think the birds must have eaten most of them, leaving the seeds stuck in this stuff where the flowers once were- (by the way it has been so warm that climbing 'Iceburg' actually had a little pitiful bloom open.) Anyway, I pulled them all out and put them in a baggie...now what? Do I have to stratify them? I put them in the fridge because I don't want to start them right now, closer to spring I think would be better. I think it is probably a selfing since the peace rose kept blooming well into fall and nothing else was. I'm interested because it was my Grandmothers favorite rose.
    Thanks a bunch!!!!
    Laura
    P.S. Trying to breed blackspot, mildew and bug resistant roses sounds like fun to me. Maybe I'll start collecting some older tougher varieties...a new hobby LOL

Laura,

When you are ready, put a little damp peat moss in the baggie with the seeds. Sometimes, they will actually sprout in the fridge, but most of the time, they will wait until you plant them out in the spring.

My old roses rarely have any kinds of spots or disease problems, and I must say that I adore them primarily because of that. They also don't need fertilizing as often and don't mind our acidic soil.

Sounds like you are in for some FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I just read up on this last evening when I discovered some rose seeds in my box. Moist moss in a baggie, seeds should sprout at 40 degrees in 30-120 days. That's what I'm doing.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Laura- Just curious what part of NY you moved to(I think I read that you had moved). I ask because I am from there-Long Island. My sis lives near Oneonta. Got snow ?
    -Cathy
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I moved to Hackensack Heights which is a hamlet of Wappingers Falls - just outside the town of poughkeepsie which is the outskirts of the city of pougheepsie - (Glad I'm not in that city...) We got some snow- not the several feet that other parts of NY got though. Originally I'm from northern Westchester

+ Reply to Thread