+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: It's snowing !

Ann, Thanks for that picture. Dasffodils are a favorite of mine (they are yellow ya know). To me they are a sign of spring. I have some that are up and forming buds. Way to early for them. I doubt they make it. But I have plenty more planted elsewhere. Crocus usually come up first but these daffs are in a spot that is warmer so they done sprung up. I'm sure they didn't realize it is too cold for them. I might try to protect them on the coldest nights. I do love them.
    tennessee sue

My old eating pear tree is in full bloom. We are expecting a hard freeze in a day or two.

Oh. well...

This winter has been DIFFERENT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here we go again, only worse!

We have a frightning forecast for next weekend in Austin - a frigid arctic blast that they are predicting will drop us well into the 20's with teens in the outlying Hill Country areas for many nights in a row! EEEEEEK!.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    Bob- Time to get out the blankets(for the plants too)
    Ann- Sounds like you need a smudge pot.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy? What is a smudge pot?

We had a rough morning. My alarm clock has gotten flaky. I woke up at 6:15 and decided I'd better look at the time. The alarm was set, the light was on, but it did not go off.

You have to realize that I normally get up at 5am. So, I run around the house waking everyone up, saying get up, get up. My alarm did not go off.

I looked out at the patio and "Oh, NO!" It was 42 degrees. I went out to the porch. The kerosene heater had gone out. I went out to the old gh. It was 42, but that is okay for in there.

The dew was frozen on the inside, east end of the plastic on the porch. The north side dew didn't appear to be frozen. I didn't have time to check the west side.

Then I saw it! My husband did not cover the faucets for the well water. Hoses were still attached.

I ran inside and yelled at my husband to get out of the shower and dry his hair. The breaker had broken the morning before while the heater on the porch was running and he was drying his hair.

It was 24 degrees outside.

I ran to my bedroom and unplugged the fluorescents. The GFCI is in my bedroom on the receptical that is used for the fluorescents. That GFCI works for both bathrooms and the porch.

I then ran back outside to start my car and let it warm enough to melt some of the ice.

Back inside to finish getting dressed for school, and my last words as I was running out the door was, "Be sure to turn off the breaker to the well pump in case we have busted PVC lines." I heard in response, "But what about the lights in the greenhouse." I said, "They're turned off. The propane heater will do fine for the rest of the day."

I arrive at school at 7:28. No time to go by the office and check my box. The students were so glad to see me. That's the bad thing about an outside classroom. They were actually happy to see that I made it.

I was exhausted by then, but the day went well.

Nothing was harmed in the porch, but everything outside including new growth on the fruit trees and the confederate rose is MELTED.

Thank goodness, the rest of my day went just fine. But I have to tell you that I am TIRED!

P.S. I haven't had the nerve to turn on the breaker to the well pump. It's going to have to wait...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

24 degrees in Mobile, yikes! I see where a lot of rain is in your neck of the woods or heading there soon - that combination is what brought us to a frozen standstill in Austin. There almost seems to be a trough of colder temperatures in the northern Gulf region from LA to FL. consistently each winter. Ann, you just need to move further south and get out your scuba gear

They are still predicting the worst arctic blast of the winter season for us sometime after Sunday but I've yet to hear how low it is expected to go. Isn't living in the South fun
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

My term for living in this part of the south is "Yo-Yo".

If it weren't for these occasional frost and freezes, we could be like south Florida, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Okay! Okay!

I got up the nerve to turn on the breaker to the well pump.

First, I turned on the faucet on the outside of the pump house. No problem. No leaks. Water running.

Then I peaked inside the well house. No problem, no leaks, water still running. Turned off that faucet.

Then went to the faucet beside by bedroom and cringed. The water hose was still attached. The water was on. Turned on water at the other end of the hose in the porch and checked the hose all the way. No leaks. No cracked PVC.

Holy COW! 24 degrees and no busted pipes!!! Not any that I have found, yet, anyway. That's a good sign. If there are none above ground, it is doubtful to find any below ground.

What a relief!!!! Lights in the old gh (supplied by well power supply) are now on. Propane is off in the old gh.

We are expecting light frost tomorrow.

Now, all of you up north are laffing your heads off, but you have to realize we are not real swift at these hard freeze things. No frozen ground, can you imagine that?

Geez! I am laffing at myself and feeling really fortunate at the moment...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

BTW, all those pretty, red camellia flowers are a nasty brown right now...

Bummer!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Thanks, Cathy!

I have never heard of those.

I ventured out late this afernoon and was amazed to see new blooms on the old pear tree.

Go figure... This old tree has got to have a lot of 'fight' left in it!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I still find it hard to believe that the porch survived 24 degrees (often colder here), and frost inside the plastic with absolutely no harm to my tropical. I mean none. No leaf burn, no yellowing, nothing!

I lost track of my remote thermometers during Ivan. No telling where they disappeared to, but I need to invest in another set this year. At least, I would have been warned if the temps went close to freezing in the outermost corners.

6 more weeks (on the average) of frost here, and I am ready for the rest of that time to be mild temps and no more sudden hard freezes.

How do you those of you up north do it? I don't know how I would manage with constant cold. My sinuses are given me fits. And my goodness, I have never had to deal with frozen ground.

Still, your gardens are so pretty! How do you do it?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Weather is always such an interesting thing to talk about and so unpredictable. Now they are saying we will have several nights at just below freezing in Austin but not the severe arctic blast predicted earlier, just a period of below average temperatures. I can live with that. I was astonished when the weather forecaster said the record low for Austin on this date was 4 degrees in 1949, so that shows we have the potential for really severe cold weather in central Texas, but thank God, it so rarely happens. When I lived up north in TN and VA, I just grew plants that are tolerant of that climate zone and grew fewer tender plants because of limited hobby greenhouse space. Winter always seemed to last forever. Now I no longer do winters like that and will gladly trade the occasional cold blast of wintery weather for 4-6 months of continuous cold and freezing weather.
    I enjoyed the winter hardy evergreens during the winter months when living up north, e.g. conifers, hollies. Every area of the country has it's uniqueness in the horticultural world. The amazing adaptability of plants to severe climate conditions never ceases to amaze me, whether it be severe and long periods of frozen ground or extremely dry desert conditions. We just need to learn to appreciate what is unique to our environments wherever we live.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4