+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: It's snowing !

Oh, my GOSH! Oh, MY GOSH! OH, MY GOSH!!!!!

That is absolutely breath taking! Love the geese photos!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

So, does this mean that the pond is frozen over?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Well, the ducks are walking across it ,so for them it is. Farther down the pond there is a small open area and all the ducks and passers-by(saw a beautiful great blue heron) congregate there.

The snow is so nice and fluffy and it really doesn't feel cold, so it's been fun being out there.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I bet!

In my mind, I am there enjoying it with you! What a treat! You have to realize that I have seen very little snow. When I traveled to Mass. and saw it, I was mostly in the city and it was ugly and dirty.

Yours is beautiful!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Beautiful pictures Wish we had some of that beautiful snow instead of ice and sleet in Austin. Those look like sandhill cranes flying overhead.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

Have you seen the last of that nasty cold front? I've been reading about how hard the west coast was hit. Sounds awful...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We are expecting one last round of potentially nasty weather before things are predicted to really improve (Sunshine predicted for next Tuesday and we have already had 10 days without sunshine and colder than average temps.) Possible ice early next week depending on timing of the next front and lows around 30 again. Everything is pretty soggy, misty light rain falling all day today with low visability - gloomy, depressing. That combined with temps in the upper 30's makes it feel bonechilling. Can hardly wait for the sun to shine again - someday I want to get out there and dig again - winter is a good time for transplanting.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    Bob, I know the feeling about wanting to get back out there. I still have daff bulbs which I'm seriously thinking about chilling(have to search and see if they need that) because it may be awhile before I can dig. Boy oh boy, if only I had just worked a little harder on what was to become the last planting day back a couple of months ago, I would have had them planted.

Just wanted to add one more benefit of a nice snow that I had forgotten about. It is 'light' outside ! I could see 2 people walking on the other side of the pond and realized that I could see across the pond at 8:30 PM ! Yes, snow gives that wonderful candlelight glow at night. I almost want to go for a walk !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Something's Wrong Here!!!

The price of gas just went below $2/gallon, and my neighbor's tulip tree is in full bloom!

Normally, the tulip trees don't start blooming until mid February or so, and I didn't think we would see lower prices on gas any time soon...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Some Pics

We're expecting rain today, but I thought I would take some pics for you anyway.

Tulip tree...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Up close, and unfortunately with a flash?!??!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Now for some FUN!!!

On one of the lower limbs of the tulip tree...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

While I was taking pictures, I decided to take my handy shears with me, along with a ziploc bag.

These are Oleander seeds...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More normal for this time of the year...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yuk!

Forecast for Monday morning is 30 degrees F. Actually, there was a heavy frost this morning, but 30 degrees does a lot more damage than heavy frost. That is a FREEZE!

Unfortunately, I have a few blooms on pear trees that will drop. I have new sprouting leaves on my confederate roses that will melt. I have a few crinum that are almost 2 feet tall that will melt down again (semi-protected area).

That's the problem with my zone. New growth, freeze and melt down, new growth, freeze and melt down...

LAS! I don't mind. It's the same ole, same ole stuff, only this winter has had more warmth than melt down.

Here's my first daffodil of the season.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast