+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: It's snowing !

Winter has hit us with a vengence. Austin is virtually shut down and we haven't been out of the house for two days. Everything is iced over and then it snowed on top of that - not much but enough to stick. Temps have been below freezing for the past 48 hours and tonight, they are predicting our worst night yet, but in the form of snow, not sleet. We could wake up to a really white landscape tomorrow morning. I have had certain plants covered for two days now and all other plant life is stiff with ice. This is what our back deck looked like at 11 AM today. We expect a temps to rise on Thursday giving us some relief, but still remain pretty chilly.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

WoW!

It is supposed to get down to 33-34 tomorrow morning. The high was something like 46 and very wet and rainy, yuk!

Please be sure to take lots of pictures of the snow! I know how rare it is to get snow in your neck of the woods.

Just don't send any my way right now. I adore seeing it, touching it, tasting it, but don't need it right now.

Enjoy it while you can!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

That is very pretty, isn't it?

Fortunately, it didn't get that cold here. There wasn't even a frost. Forecast is around 40 tomorrow morning, but the heater and lights remain on for another day. It is dreary, cloudy and very damp outside.

I think the damp makes it feel colder. I'm glad it didn't get as cold here, but they are predicting a couple more arctic blasts next week, so January cold is not over yet by any means.

Icicles are cool, aren't they? Thanks for the pics and please let us know what makes those temps and what doesn't!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here's one better - a link to a Yahoo Photo Album I created showing 15 pictures of our conditions and the appearance of the frozen winter garden. Got up to 34 today so the big thaw has begun

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/robertbe...60762385332780[/URL]
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    60 degree difference for me from yesterday ! Florida to Kansas !
    This morning on the drive to work it was 14 degrees. I think it warmed to upper 20's. Of course, I am wondering what my plants are thinking. I'm worried about the potted lily bulbs in the garage. The garage doesn't freeze but someone who lives in this house is inclined to leave the door open despite telling me otherwise. Eek ! I do think about aphids and thrips and hope they are frozen, so the daylilies will show nice this summer.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I have a student from Germany that arrived the night before the first day of class. He is in my Algebra II class, and is usually the first one to arrive.

This morning, he walked into my room with his usual big smile and immediately asked, "Is it true that it only snows here every 10 years and when it does, there is no school?"

It was fun to explain to him about the lack of salt trucks, and the other students wandered in and joined the discussion. Most have never been up north and have never seen lots of snow.

I am enjoying this particular class. We have about 10 minutes to just talk before class starts and they are mostly seniors, a few juniors who are getting ready to explore the world for themselves.

Bob! Nice photos, but I have to tell you that I'm glad for you and glad that I don't see icicles and ice like that here right now. I'd rather not miss a day of school. After all, we have to make it up in the summer!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bob! Nice photos, but I have to tell you that I'm glad for you
    I'm not at all glad about the ice and frigid weather - my poor outdoor plants! This was quite a shocking experience for me compared with Houston's normal winter. I will definitely find out the hard way who the survivors are - but not for quite a while most likely.

I tried to make the best of it by looking for and photographing the beauty in it - but would much prefer to live without that kind of excitement. That's why I live in the south (so I thought)
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Feeling for you...

I truly understand!

Somehow, we skirted by on that one, but unfortunately, it looks like more are coming this way in the next week. It's too soon to tell how cold it will be.

I don't see sun in the forecast any time soon.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    8 inches of snow predicted; probably 5-6 inches right now. I've been out playing in it with the dog, fed the ducks, shoveled the driveway,played more with the dog, took some instamatic photos, headed out with the digital. It's fun out there; where are the kids ?! I guess they're the playstation generation. Stay tuned for photos !

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/5276746.html

Blog Entries

Winter Pond scene

I'm trying to take 4 season photos of the same perspective of the pond. I have summer, spring and fall and now winter.

Slip and slide some for me, and I want to see LOTS of photos!

How about a snowman? How about angel wings in the snow?

Enjoy!!!! It sure sounds like a lot of FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Winter Pond Scene

I forgot to size in mt above post so here is the winter pond scene:
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries

Winter Pines

Well, we have to have winter pines as well ! (can you find the tree house):
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries

Canada Geese

As I was taking photos, I heard what sounded like gun shots and the next thing I knew the Canada geese were in flight--I heard more than I saw. Since we are in the middle of a snow storm, the lighting isn't great but I had to snap these pix:
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries

more geese

more:
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast