+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: It's snowing !

Blog Entries

It's snowing !

It started about 8:30 this morning. Nice fluffy flakes. The streets are fine--just wet. But the front and back yards have about 2 inches of snow. I went out and tried to throw snowballs at my dog. Since she's a Norwegian Elkhound, this is her kinda weather ! I also fed the ducks. It was fun !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cool!

Aren't ya just feeling like a kid, again! Sure sounds like FUN to me!!!!

You may not have gotten a White Christmas, but it sounds like at least your are getting a White New Year's Eve!

Is your dog catching any of the snowballs? I remember when it snowed here, and the dog that I had at the time would run, then slide across the yard and run and slide again. It was hilarious to watch!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Heh, heh ! Norway(her name) doesn't catch anything or retrieve anything. If you throw her a dog biscuit , she will wince and let it bounce off her nose. She is such a girly girl.
    Went to WM and bought a bird feeder. We strung it up on the deck railing and already have had the Cardinals come to it. I can't tell you how pretty red cardinals are in the snow ! We also have red finches, sparrows and a liitle bird that is black on top and white on the bottom. I used to think they were chickadees but have no idea now what they are.
    The sun is trying to come out. I suspect the snow will be gone tomorrow but it's wonderful while it lasts.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy!

It was so much fun hearing about your snow. I do adore cardinals and every year, I used to leave gigantic ripened okra pods for them. That way, I could see them from my window.

I haven't had a vegetable garden since I started teaching, but I definitely should do that again soon. I miss having one, and I certainly miss seeing the cardinals.

Our cold front came through this morning. Temps were just about freezing, but the sun is bright and everything is warming up quickly. We have one more cold night, then it should be back to normal temps here.

In the meantime, cool and sunny with my last day off is nice.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,
    I too love to go out and play in the snow. Usually we are
    buttcheek deep by now, but there isn't a snowflake in sight!
    We might get a mix of snow and rain on sat. with high's in the upper 30's. But then warming back up to the mid 40's
    We broke the record in Muskegon on New Years day with a high of 45!
    Anxiously awaiting spring!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Would you post a picture of snow falling - we don't know what that looks like in Austin
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Same here! It is 75 degrees today, but I know that won't last long.

Things are starting to spring back to life only to be bitten by the next hard frost/freeze.

Is it my imagination or is this a mild winter?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We had several days of morning frost, meaning below 40 degrees F. Now, the temps are going up to the 50's in the am.

Tis the life of living on the borderline....

It was nice to turn off the heaters and gh lights for a few days, but it looks like cold will return in a few days with the lows dipping below 30 degrees.

Oh, well...

Two more months of these ups and downs, before I start holding my breath when I look at the forecast and hoping for NO MORE frosts/freezes!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I am going to go and collect more pine needle mulch for the
    'new' area I'm working on. We had a dusting of snow a couple days ago, but it rained some last night. It's a nice 43 out right now. Weird!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I sure hope that means we are going to have a mild, mild winter.

Tomorrow, I have to check the kerosene supply because we are suppose to have below 30 temps.

Don't laugh 'cause I know we live in different worlds, and I appreciate the fact that those just north of me have much more beautiful gardens 'cause they don't deal with the heat and humidity.

Still, I won't complain. This is the world that I know!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

They are predicting a milder than usual winter for the Eastern part of the country which has been true so far. We had a litle snow the other day but really not much in the way of cold weather.
    Here it is the middle of Jan. I should have on my long johns but instead am sitting here with the windows open. I have bulbs showing growth. The only hting I worry about is that I also noticed some new growth on some of the daylillies. I hope it doesn't hurt them when it gets cold again. Which it is supposed to do next week after a spring like weekend. There's nothing I can do about it so I'll just enjoy the lower heating bill. Hey, more money to buy plants with!
    I am wondering if Cathy has been affected by the ice storm in the midsection of the country. They seem to be getting all the bad weather this year.
    tennessee sue

Cathy is visiting her Mom now, I think.

It is in the 70's here today and bright, sunny, absolutely GORGEOUS and supposed to be that way for the next couple of days.

We are expecting a cool down in the middle of the week, so hubby bought a couple more gallons of kerosene and refilled another propane tank just in case.

Meanwhile, my windows are open and I'm enjoying this gorgeous, spring like day!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

In Austin this afternoon, it is 40 degrees, raining cats and dogs with over 3" and more expected, and forecast for freezing something or another after midnight (sleet, freezing rain, or maybe snow) with subfreezing evenings into the mid twenties for three straight days. Spring is not quite around the corner

My outdoor plants will get their severest test for hardiness yet. This will probably get to Mobile eventually.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob, I can usually predict Mobile's weather for tomorrow by looking at Houston's weather today. That works in the spring, summer and fall. If it is raining today in Houston, it will usually rain tomorrow.

For some reason, it doesn't always work that way with the cold fronts. Cold fronts come from the north and work their way to the south which I suppose is different from the weather conditions working from west to east.

Anyway, our forecast are currently not calling for the extreme lows that are predicted in Austin right now. A couple of days ago, they were predicting hard freezes, but they have changed those predictions, so all we can do is wait and see...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bob?

Snow? Have you gotten any of that beautiful white stuff?

I see that you are getting hit hard by this winter storm. It finally arrived here, but it's not as cold here as you are.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast