+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite gardening gloves

Favorite gardening gloves

Well, I decided that I would share my thoughts on gardening gloves and shoes......I must have 2-3 dozen pairs or single gloves of one sort or another: the all cloth ones which I wash a lot and repair yearly, the rubber palmed ones from Lowe's which the rubber separates from eventually, and my Playtex dishwashing rubber gloves---which hold up thru it all in the spring and fall! I love my playtex gloves, they squish cutworms and slugs, they go into soggy soil and icky things and keep my hands safe and warm, and they even are pretty good with rose cane cutting. They fit snugly and I have great tactile feeling when planting small seeds. Yes, my hands do sweat in summer but I just pull them off, let them be inside out and dry off, then turn them right-side out, blow out the fingers and put them on again! they have proved to be the most durable of all my gloves.

Now shoes, those cheap quick slip-on rubber clogs from Target are great, even for narrow feet, and the rubber boots for the muddier times, also can be found at Target. I like things I can stay dry in and hop out of to run into the house. Tie shoes can take a while to get out of, or I end up tracking all kinds of things in when I run to answer the phone or something.

Anyone have any thoughts on this topic??
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Gloves: The Playtex gloves make my hands sweaty; Mom makes me use them when I visit in Florida. I don't mind wearing them there what with the fire ants and all. I have work gloves(fabric) that I use to till. Beyond that, I am a bare hands gardener.

Shoes: I have wanted to try those garden slip on boots but they look pricey. I wear old sneakers and , at worst, they end up with muddy clods on them that I have to scrape off. Wait, worst is when the tread wears off the bottom and I end up on my derriere walking down an incline ! I will look at what they have at Target. I just realized the pricey ones tend to be at the nurseries.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I too am a basically barehands gardener. Picking up piles of leaves and acorns though I wear fabric gloves.

Yep, old tennis shoes for me too.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Hi Girls.
    I use the Playtex when doing a lot of transplanting. I have a nice pair of suede ones that I have had for several years that I use for the heavy stuff. I, too, usually end up taking them off and going barehanded for most chores.
    I like slip on shoes for general use so I can slip out of them before going in the house. Of course for serious digging I wear something a little more sturdy.
    tennessee sue

It seems that it is always so hot and humid that I end up taking off the gloves within ten minutes, so usually, I don't bother.

I like the slip on shoes also. They usually end up getting damp and/or wet, so off they come when I come inside.

I did buy a pair of warm gloves a few weeks ago when it was so cold. The next day, the temps climbed back up to the 70's, so they are still in the trunk of my car. It won't be long before it starts getting that cold again.

How about hats? I adore garden hats, but they keep getting blown off and again, they can get hot at times.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Has anyone tried the 'foxgloves'? I've seen ads for them
    in the gardening magazines, but not in the stores.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I haven't tried them, nor have I seen them in the stores locally.

But, I have to tell you that they sound really good!

Let us know if you give them a try.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread