+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low probability of a white Chritmas

Blog Entries

Low probability of a white Chritmas

I just read this :
    White Christmas facts for Wichita...

The last time more than a trace of snowfall was on the ground in
    Wichita Christmas day was back in 2002 when two inches was reported.
    However, looking back at weather records, it is very uncommon for
    snow to be on the ground for Christmas day. In fact, since 1888,
    there have only been 13 years in which more than a trace of snow was
    reported on the ground for December 25th in Wichita. This would
    give Wichita around a 10 percent chance of a white Christmas on any
    given year. It looks like Wichita should again miss out on a white
    Christmas with temperatures in the 50s forecast through the weekend.

Here are some other interesting Christmas weather facts for wichita:

Warmest: 65 degrees reported in 1950,1964 and 1960
    coldest: 6 degrees below zero back in 1983
    snowiest: 4 inches back in 1894
    most snow on ground: 4 inches reported back in 1894 and 1962
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

It's raining here, and that is what it always does before a cold front. That is why we so rarely get snow. Well, that and the fact that it doesn't get that cold very often.

The rain precedes the cold front. We get wet, then it gets cold. This cold front is not as bad as the one we had earlier, but still, the fact of the matter is, it has to rain after it gets cold in order for it to turn to snow.

I'm amazed that you get snow so rarely. I would think that you would get snow every Christmas!

One more day of school, and counting.... I've gotta grade some semester exams tonight, but I have to wait for the rain to stop a little so that I can go out to the car and get the tests out of the trunk.

I'm curious as to how many people actually get snow for Christmas. Sounds like it is not always guaranteed...

Vicki, do you always have snow on the ground at Christmas? Rebecca? Others?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We don't usually have snow for Christmas but it seems like we did when I was younger. I know we had it a lot around the new year because we missed going back to school after the new year.
    We do have flurries forecast for Christmas night. I hope that is all it does cause I gotta go to work that night. I would send you guys all the snow we have if I could. I don't like snow. It's ok if I don't have to go out, but I hate driving in it.
    tennessee sue

It's misting raining here. There is a big glob of rain all along the Gulf Coast. The temps have dropped to the 50's and we won't get much past 60 today. There is absolutely no sunshine. I'm glad that yesterday was as pretty as it was, and I hope we will have a few nice days this week while I'm off work.

I've turned the heater on high in the patio and hope that I can keep the temps above 60 out there as long as possible. I gave the seedlings a little to drink as well as a few of the newly planted bulbs that are starting to show growth.

The daylily seedlings in the old gh are starting to look a little dry, but I watered them a few days ago so I'm trying to hold off addintional water until after the low 30's Tuesday morning. When the sun comes back out, they will be ready for a nice, long drink.

Dreary day, but a restful one. I'm taking advantage of that and trying to get some badly needed rest...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread