+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Merry Christmas !

Blog Entries

Merry Christmas !

For anyone on that hectic holiday pace, this should help calm things down and provide some refocus(I know it helped me).
    Happy Holidays to All ! It's a gift just knowing such wonderful folks here !

http://ecard.ashland.edu/2004admission/index.html

Make sure your sound is on !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Beautiful! I have listened to it several times, and I'm definitely wound down for a good sleep tonight.

Our semester exams are tomorrow and Friday. The students will be wound up when each is done, so I wish that I could play some really soft Christmas music for them after they complete their tests.

If i did that, though, they would think it was time to talk and no one could hear the music.

Then I thought, well, I could start playing it before the tests ending, but then they may fall asleep before they finished their tests.

This is funny and very cute. When Hunter was a toddler, he fought sleep like crazy. I would sing the same songs to him every night and when I sang 'Silent Night', he would usually finally fall asleep.

So, in kindergarden, his teacher told me one day that she was shocked that Hunter fell asleep during the Christmas songs. After all, Hunter never fell asleep even during nap time. When I asked what song was playing, she said, 'Silent Night'.

I burst out laughing and couldn't stop. The teacher looked at me strange, and finally, I caught my breath and told her why.

No more 'Silent Night' for his night-night songs....

Thanks! And Merry Christmas!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I absolutely must tell you a sweet story...

This morning, between my first and second class, one of my 3rd period students walked by my class and gave me a pretty, Christmas wrapped package. I was touched and surprised. We don't get very many gifts in high school. In fact, I have never received a Christmas gift from any of my high school students.

I smiled, thanked him with all my heart and I know that he noticed that I was really surprised. I didn't open it. I tucked it beside my printer and waited until the end of my third class, then asked him if I could open it now. He grinned and said 'Yeah!', so I did...

It is a beautiful pendant type book marker that is shaped like an oblong apple. It looks like pewter, but I'm not sure. There is thick black cord with beads attached. The middle bead is a pewter apple.

On this book maker, it says, "Teacher's Prayer - Lord, please bless my students and may they know their teacher cared."

I was touched deep in my heart. I had called this student's Mom. I stop by tutoring every day to check on him. He does know that I care.

Then, I opened the card that was attached. It ws from his mother. Along with the special card, it said, "Thank you for all the help with Tyler's math!"

That was so sweet and made me feel so special!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- What a wonderful gift from your student and his Mom ! Just when you think all is futile, there is a ray of hope.
    P.S. I love the story about Hunter and Silent Night. That's one of those stories that will be told and retold as he gets older and even when he has kids of his own !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yes, I believe you call them 'Special Moments'...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I had another special moment today. It was a student from the class that I inherited a couple of months ago. The girl was rude, disrespectful, argumentative and constantly interupted my lessons. I referred her to the office several times, even wrote a referral on her skipping my class to avoid a test. Finally, she decided that I was right and stopped giving that disgusted look when she had to wait until I finished talking, then raise her hand to ask her question.

She became very polite, started doing all her assignments and even started helping some other students that were struggling.

Anyway, she told me yesterday that she had a Christmas card for me but forgot it in her car. She said she would bring it by today which she did. I didn't have time to open it right away. At brunch, I opened it and read it. I don't have it with me. I posted it on the bulletin board....

Basically, she said that she realized that there was a rough beginning, but that I was a GREAT teacher (she even used caps) and thanked me for teaching her so that she could understand.

She made an 80 on her quarter exam which was good considering the transition from the other teacher to me and the 'rough start'.

All day long today, students were telling me how much they appreciate my efforts to help them. It's a good feeling and the best Christmas present a teacher can have.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Those are some wonderful stories Ann. Makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas,
    Vicki

+ Reply to Thread