+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

I am thankful for still having some flowers in my garden. This will be the first year of many that there has not been a heavy, melt down freeze.

And I am grateful for that!

I do hope that everyone is healthy and enjoying a fantastic feast on Thanksgiving Day.

Enjoy your holidays...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- I couldn't have said it better ! Thank you. And, as you know, I cannot resist........

http://www.123greetings.com/view/GM21122201116246
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Thank you, Cathy!

Some Thanksgiving day pics for you and all...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Smaller blooms now that it is so cool, but beautful and still quite large, just the same....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bouganvilla...

I think I should give this one back to my Mom. It is HUGE, and has thorns that are over an inch long that are strong enough to go through tennis shoes and grab hold of you (a crook at the tip of the thorn).

Still, pretty....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Buddleia...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lots of old roses...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    big sigh ! drool ! .....
    Simply breath taking !

I've been outside planting hydrangeas that have been living in plastic bags since the move last year. 3 planted ; 4 to go !
    That's my thanksgiving doin's. We're having fish for dinner. Odd, huh ?! Hubby is limited in what he can eat, and we're up to our eyeballs in chicken, so fish it is. I did buy some stove top stuffing for myself though !
    Back to planting......
    Thank you soo much for the photos !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I'd take fish or any kind of seafood for a meal any day of the week or year. I love seafood!

If you want to try something different, this is something that I do with leftover cornbread dressing. I use that water packed tuna in the bag (not can). I mix it with the leftover dressing, add an egg or two, depending on how much. Then I make fish/dressing patties out of it and simmer the patties in margarine.

Served with tarter sauce or ketchup, it is very good!

Enjoy your planting! Sounds like fun to me!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

We did! 48 of us at my Mom's! Wow the immediate family sure has grown. My nephew informed us that they are adding another additon to their family. Due the end of June on his sister's birthday. He/she will be number 4 for them.

Now that I've got my computers figured out and some more time, I will be on a little more. Take care!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

This was a recent acquisition at HD. I transferred it to a larger pot and moved it into the porch. I was surprised to see it bloom because before I managed to repot it, it kept getting to dry. Leaves shriveled and dropped. Even the tips of the branches looked droopy.

Unfortunately, the bloom isn't formed completely, but the reason I bought it was to distinguish it from the pinks that I have in my garden.

Definitely frosty, but not as pink. Maybe, it will be more pink later.

I took a picture anyway...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, That looks like satin, and the bloom is huge. I guess I am dumb but what is it? I'm sure it is not hardy here.

I missed wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving yesterday.. was at Mom's feasting with the family then off to work.
    I am glad to see everyone isn't too stuffed today to be on line. Vicki I am glad you have got the computer straightened out, we miss you when you are away.
    BTW Ann I love the yellow rose. Is it one of the old timey ones? I went out today and have a sea pink in bloom. I don't know why it is blooming now but any bloom is a welcome site.
    tennessee sue

Whoops!

It is hard to tell at that view, isn't it?

I took the picture for Vicki. It is a 'Frosty Pink' brugmansia.

Since it is protected, it may or may not bloom during the winter. Brugs tend to bloom more when it is cool. At least, mine do!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thank you Ann! What a welcome sight.
    I took many cuttings from my brugs, but they just kept rotting. I'm sure I could've saved some of them, but the son thought they were to go in the compost pile.

I did 'save' the rootballs, cut them down to about 12"-18", after root pruning and transfering to smaller pots. I put them in my 'crawlspace' (doesn't freeze
    there). Not too sure what they will do, I'm sure not experienced in winteringover anything! I'm hoping they go dormant, but . . . . . ... ..am basically clueless.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

If it doesn't freeze there, they should be fine. One word of caution, though. They shouldn't be kept too wet, but don't let them totally dry out.

I have heard that some are easier to root than others. I haven't taken cuttings of the ones that I have in the ground, yet. Honest to goodness, I'm not sure there is space for them inside. I still have some that I rooted last winter inside the porch. They are tall, so I can always take cuttings of those this spring before they are put in the ground.

Those should have already been planted, but it was so hot and dry this summer. I just didn't get around to it.

I counted the buds on the one in the front bed. There are 30. Most of those will most likely perish with frost/freeze before they bloom. That depends on which of the forecasts are actually correct. Weather.com is not being very kind about the middle of next week.

Since I counted the ones in the front, I ventured out to the west fence. Most of the leaves have dropped, but I did count at least 50 buds, but they are smaller.

Keep us posted on how well yours do in the crawl space!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast