+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who to Believe?

Well, here we are, on the last day of November, and the temp was 74 today. Tomorrow those numbers reverse to 47 for the high, then it's down to 30 for the night.

Today I went out and for the final time, enjoyed all that is left of the fall. There is a small, green leafed japanese maple just accross the driveway from my window. Most everything else has dropped it's leaves, and after tonights storms, I expect this one to be bare. So, for it's final hurah, here it is in all it's splendor:
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Oh, Tom!

That is so beautiful!!!! It reminds me of all the beautiful trees in the northeast as they start to turn colors. I hate to admit it, but I have probably spent more time in the northeast than I have in your area even though you are closer.

Stay warm... My greenhouse lights are on. The heater is turned on in the entrance from the porch to the patio. Tonight will be okay here, but I am concerned about the hard freeze early next week. I need to get the stronger heaters ready.

I did manage to take some time to go around and view the colors in my garden before they turn brown. The pink camellia is loaded with blooms. A hard freeze will mar the blooms, but there are so many buds that it won't take long for them to look good again.

Such a sight! I love the cooler weather, but truly wish that the bitter cold could stay away. Mentally, I am just not ready for it...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tom, Thanks for the lovely picture. If you had the winds that we had yesterday the poor tree is bare today. When I walked the dog last night i had limbs and branches all over the place and all the persimmons are gone off the tree at work. Luckily most of the rain and the snaw went north of us. We did get a lot colder but at least the sun is out today.
    I wonder how Cathy fared. I haven't seen her on line so I wonder if she has lost power. It looked like Witchita got hit with a lot of snow.
    Everyone stay warm.
    tennessee sue

Cathy sent me a quick pm. She is in overload at work and will be for the rest of the week. I think everything is okay other than that.

I'm beginning to think you can't believe any of the forecast. Even though fuel costs are high, I'd rather the temps be higher than predicted rather than lower. Maybe, they are playing it safe.

We went into meltdown last night, but not the really hard freeze that was expected.

Freeze again in the morning, and I hope it is not lower than expected. Space heater is running in the patio/porch. One side of floodlights in the greenhouse. The right side all popped last night when I turned them on. The left side was left on all day with the doors shut, so I hope that the old gh warmed up enough to hold it through the morning. I don't have much in there that I am worried about. The tropical hibiscus are NOIDs and easy to replace. The gingers should be hardy enough to withstand a mild freeze. Other seedlings can be regrown. Amaryllis seedlings are protected in a warm area of the patio.

Winter has definitely arrived, even in the south!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2