+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter is here

Winter is here

At least what I consider to be winter is here.

The plastic is on the porch, and the greenhouse is buckled shut.

No heat will be needed tonight, but it is going to be near frost temperatures.

I'll miss the flowers that will start getting melted tomorrow morning. I thought I would post a few pics. Most of you have seen these before because I've had them for some time. I just keep making more of my favorites.

The first is a one of several cuttings that I rooted in water during the winter last year, so they are less than a year old and have been blooming for a lot longer than the parent plant.

It is Tibouchina...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The monarch's at all of the leaves off the other types of passiflora, but they don't seem to do that with the red one.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Then, of course, there are the roses. I gather some hips from a few of them.

One of my favorites...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

There are many other plants in bloom, but I know you've seen the pictures over and over.

This one will continue to bloom for the next few months.

I did manage to harvest a few seeds from it this year, and hopefully, I'll get those started soon. Next year, I do believe this shrub (which is now 10 foot tall) will be wearing some tutus.

My pink camellia:
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

P.S. That yellow leaf in the background is a grape leaf. The birds deposit the seeds everywhere, and this one keeps getting cut back but seems to enjoy that. Why do they always grow where you don't want them?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I wanted to add that I reused the cut pieces of greenhouse plastic. It was a little too long (lots on the ground), so I simply folded the plastic so that the holes from last year are underneath plastic without holes.

I usually nail down slats to keep the staples from ripping through the plastic. This time, I used 4-5" pieces of duck tape and stapled over that. The idea is that the duck tape may not keep its stick, but the staples won't easily rip through the plastic. I will add slates during the holidays.

I have to tell you that this greenhouse plastic is worth the price. I actually went up easier this time than it did last year. The stuff is easier to handle than the cheaper, construction plastic.

When it is pulled off this year, I should have to worry about the plastic having little holes.

Gee, I'm ready to pull it off already, but the plants aren't.

It's 44 degrees outside and getting colder FAST! Low of 33-35 expected...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Beautiful pictures, Ann! Can't grow any of those plants up here though!

I must say I would much rather have your winters than the ones I really have up here!

Lot of moisture falling this week, fortunately all was in liquid form although it has felt cold enough to snow on several occasions! Currently it's 35 f and the forecast says a 30% chance of snow showers overnight. My bones say no though!

My little cold frame is as snug as it can be considering I didn't have enough plastic to fully cover all of it. Still it will protect the plants from the worst of it, mainly the wind, and from getting too much moisture which always leads to the dreaded freeze/thaw cycle in February and March. I most likely won't have to open it more than once or twice between now and then and only to check the moisture levels. But that is what the warm days are for. Warn here would be above 35 f and with lots of sunshine! When the plants do get a little dry they will get very little water, mosr a misting than a real watering. The difficult months are, like I said, February and March. By April I'll be able to open it up for ever longer periods and by the end of April I should be able to leave it open. I won't take the cover off though until mid-May and I'll probably have to close it a couple of times to keep the frost off.

Now if the winter months would just pass by as quickly as the summer months did. . . .

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread