+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gully Washer...

Gully Washer...

We had 4" of rain today, and now we are only 13" below normal rainfall.

Somehow, I think it is trying to catch up. I won't complain... I said that during the drought, and I meant it.

As long as my home doesn't float away, I don't mind the gully washers.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Double wow ! It's global warming..seriously !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Some areas nearby got over 8", so I'm not complaining!!!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It has rained here pretty much all day, though I don't know how much we've gotten. It's getting a lot colder out tonight and the rain is still falling and could have some snow mixed in with it before it stops. Roads/streets will be a mess for the morning drive to work and I am so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore! Even up here where snow is fairly common, people tend to get stoopid when it falls and forget to slow down and usually end up sliding off the roadways or into someone. It can be downright scary!

Winter is a coming and it might as well get here and get it over with a bit sooner. It's gonna be cold up hear for at least the next 6 months and I got cold last week and won't be warm again untill June! I need to be a bird and fly south for the winter months!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, Rebecca!

The common term for those of you who come south to escape the cold is "Snow Bird".

All of the snow birds are arriving about now.

To me, winter arrives when I get our first real hard frost. There's a big question mark as to when that will be, so I am busily getting ready for it.

I often think the snow birds are mighty smart, escape the heat of the summer and the bitter cold of the winter.

I always dread winter and look forward to spring!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    No sign of rain here. We are holding off winterizing the sprinklers. The biggest mistake people make here is not realizing that plants and grass need water through fall and winter. Of course, once we get to prolonged freeze temps, it's time to winterize. But not now, we are advised to water everything especially trees and evergreens. They are still advising to plant trees and perennials and of course bulbs. I like this crazy weather.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yes, I feel that way, also.

It's probably more visible and apparent here.

Plants are growing roots this time of the year. The roots need water to develop. If they dont' have it, they die.

Once winter sets in hard, in the case of frozen ground, the roots are then well established and go dormant.

If they aren't, some of the plants will die. It depends on the plant.

I know that it is hard to believe, but our ground never freezes. So, our problem is all of those live roots, ready to grow, but dormant, too much rain can harm them.

That is why many plants are hardy to zone7, but not hardy in zone 8 and higher.

Cathy, I am enjoying the cooler weather, too!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread