+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blankets or no blankets ?

Blog Entries

Blankets or no blankets ?

I'm confused...should I throw blankets over my plants (& how can it snow when it's not below 32) ?

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/Map...te=KS&site=ICT

Tonight: Rain likely and possibly a thunderstorm, then periods of rain after midnight. Low around 36. Breezy, with a north northwest wind 5 to 8 mph increasing to between 25 and 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Wednesday: A chance of rain, possibly mixing with snow after 9am, then gradually ending. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 47. Windy, with a north northwest wind between 22 and 31 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    I went with no blankets but have to use blankets the rest of the week. Time for floating row covers(if a local store has them) or plastic.

Snow is developed in the upper atmosphere, where it can be very cold, and when it gets heavy enough, it falls. Think in terms of hail in summer.

On native or tolerant plants, covers should not be required, unless you are simply trying to extend the summer season on some for them. Blankets or frost covers are fine for protecting tender plants outside for a while, but I learned the hard way to avoid plastic covers. There is more risk of damage from the heat buildup early the next day under the plastic than from the cold. Unless you intend to build an open ended hoop cover over a row of plants, I would not use plastic at all.

You didn't mention which plants you are wanting to protect, so generalities will have to do.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    daylilies for the most part

Blog Entries
    Well all I canadd to this is that my back bed is under a thick blanket of leaves my neighbor deposited on them from his yard and the seedlings are in their make shift cold frame. I've tossed leaves over all the potted plants inthe potting area and piled leaves on the Budleias and my Hydrangea. Still need to pile up more leaves on my two Hyb. Tea Roses.

I took the arbor down that the spring storm blew over and tore up and cut the Clematis back then secured the 2 foot vines to a stake. Still don't have anything to use for a replacement arbor, I may end up moving them both, IF Ican figure out WHERE! The Red Bud Tree has been severly pruned and is really looking quite sad. Sure hope pruning it will encourage new growth come spring or I will have a very odd looking "trellis" for C. Dr. Rupple to climb on and some unhappy Hosta plants that are under the tree. It sure looks different in the back.

All I have todonow is wait until spring and hope everything survives whatever kind of winter we have.

You'll get it all figured out, Cathy!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy, I tend to agree with Tom about the plastic. Your zone is the same as mine 6b I think. Some mulch and massing of pots should be okay for the daylilies. That is all any of my plants get in the winter. Snow makes a nice insulating blanket. With the mulch the plants get natural water. With plastic you have to water more in winter and the sun can heat it up fast even if the air temps are low.
    tennessee sue

I agree with avoiding the plastic. The sun can bake the plants in no time, and I have seen that happen.

Frost blanket is best if you are trying to prolong the season of your seedlings. Bedding blankets work, but only for one night and when it is not raining.

Like Tom says, a little hoop house with plastic, but make sure that the hot air can escape if the sun beats down on it during the days.

I can't answer about the snow because it rarely snows here. Maybe, this year will be one that it does. And maybe not.... Chances are it will not! It would be nice to see the soft, white stuff for a change, as long as it waits until January or so!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I 'forgot' the blankets outside under a tree and it rained last night. They were kinda damp tonight , but I threw them over the plants anyway.
    Plastic scares me especially because it is a south exposure. I too envisioned creating an oven. I also considered the water amount issue. I might just try bunching more leaves between everything and leaving it topless.
    I agree that if I use plastic that there has got to be air flow but that kinda leads me back to not even using it. Last year I made a coldframe and it was against the house facing northeast. Things did OK but I wonder if the plastic really did anything anyway. It sure wasn't airtight.
    Well, next time I can get to them is the weekend and it should be warmer(just during the days)--lows are upper 20's / low 30's.
    Thanks guys !

BRRRRR! Those are our coldest temps! Usually... I hope for no lower than that this year.

But, we don't always have a choice, do we? We take what we get and do what we can do...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread