+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pesky windchill

Blog Entries

Pesky windchill

The weatherman predicted 60 to day BUT fauiled to mention THE WIND ! Currently it is 46 with a wind chill of 37. There go my planting plans --darn it. I might go and buy plastic for my plant corral--I'm tiring of the blanket drills whenever it goes below upper 30's. I still need to mulch out there but not in this wind.
    At least the sun is shining--that's a plus !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

It's 49 here right now and was 40 earlier. The wind is strong and the sun is gorgeous here as well.

I am repotting some brugs that will be overwintered this winter (new). They drink so much water, even in the winter.

I'm moving things around on the porch trying to figure out how I can make sure that everything is accessible that needs water, more light, etc., etc.

Did I say that I'm not ready for winter? Keep reminding me about the wind, so that I'll remember that I have to put up the plastic on a day that it is not blowing.

The greenhouse door has come apart AGAIN! It sure takes a beating in the wind, and it is OLD. Also, I noticed some fiberglass panels that are lose. That can be fixed on a windy day, but the door and the plastic can't.

So far, I've only seen a few leaves here and there that were bitten by frost. They are in the low lieing areas. The pecan trees are shedding and when the wind blows, I have to remember to turn my head so that a leave doesn't fly in my eyes.

Pretty day, but it sure went from very warm to downright chilly, didn't it?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It went downhill fast here. I went shopping yesterday and came back in and pit on a cooler shirt because it was so warm. But when I went to work a couple of hours later I had to put on a coat. It rained and then got really cold. Supposed to rain the next several days.
    I did bring in some pots I had previously filled with potting soil to pot up some bulbs my Mom bought me. One (pack) is a small pink alium. The other is a very pretty Blushing Apledorn tulip. It is peachy with darker lining. I have the pots of soil sitting beside the heater to warm up before I stick my hands in there!
    The wind is pretty brisk here to. I guess it came from your way girls.
    tennessee sue

There was ICE, not frost on the front window of my car this morning. I was nervous about taking that walk around the back (north) side of my house this afternoon, but all looks fine.

The forecast does not, though... It got down to 38 this morning, but I see a 35 on one of the forecast for one week from this morning. Guess I'd better start hauling out the ladder and the plastic.

I was really hoping to make it to the Thanksgiving holidays this year, but it doesn't look like that will be safe

Oh, well....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread