+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overwhelmed....

Overwhelmed....

Or is it just tired?

I believe I mentioned that I inherited 30 orphaned students. Their teacher decided to go back to engineering.

The last few days with them has been interesting. This is a BIG class, and my room is small and packed. Today, I gave them a practice test. It was their first time to use the 'clicker' system which is basicly a remote control to answer their test questions.

As I watched them working their test problems and looking up to click their answers, I saw so many sad eyes, and I reminded myself that these students are struggling and unsure of their future.

It's not the first time that this has happened, but for some reason this student touched me. He's a very quiet boy. I noticed that he did not do very well on his test. He told me me that his schedule for next semester shows the other teacher. He asked if he could have me. I asked him what block and he said block 1. Unfortunately, I teach Alg. II first block next semester. He is taking Alg. 1b.

He said, "Can I ask to have my schedule changed so that I can have you?" I let him know that his parents would have to request the schedule change in writing, and if they could, they would reschedule him. The problem is that my classes for next semester show 45 students. I guess they don't expect some of those to pass. Go figure... I wonder why? 17.5 years old, still in the 9th grade and they don't expect them to pass this time?

The student sighed in relief and said, "My parents will do that. I can understand the way that you teach it."

I have to tell you all that there has been many experiences like this. Our policy is that students' that fail our class should have another teacher the second time around. When school started, I went through my rosters and made a list of the students that failed.

One of the girls that did absolutely nothing was on that list. I saw her in the hallway. She had her change of schedule in her hand and tears were coming out of her eyes. She didn't want to have another teacher. She said, "But I understand the way you teach it. I am comfortable with you. I don't want someone else. I just didn't try." I have a feeling that she is still not trying, but I as touched.

I am touched by different students almost every day. One girl came up to me and hugged me and said, "I get it! I know how to do it now. I have never been good in Math, but I get it. I love you."

I know at the bottom of my heart that I made the right decision to teach, but I have to tell you that many days, I am worn out when I get home.

It's worth it. Please hang in there with me. I will be working straight through the days with only 25 minutes for lunch and half of that is spent running to the office to check my inbox and running to the copier.

I have been told that I will not be able to do this long schedule for more than the remainder of this quarter. I found out today that we are losing another math teacher in January.

So, if I get short, seem irritated or simply do not respond, Please, Please, Please, try to understand.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It's those moments when you find pearls within certain students that make it all worthwhile. If only those moments were more frequent and could be strung together to make a whole day !
    But it's tough work and we know it and appreciate what you do.
    I am still trying to figure out what an outside classroom is ?!
    Hang in there. We love you Ann !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Thanks for lettnig me dump... Guess I was in a dumping mood with all the rain, huh?

Outside classroom means that the door opens to the outside rather than opening to an inside hallway.

Make sense now?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ohhh ! LOL! Like motels and hotels ..got it !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

ROFL!

I never thought about it that way, but it is like that. The only difference is that there is about 40' of grass between the sidewalk and the side street and there are no parking spaces. I can park on the street after school, but not during.

I had a good day. My newly acquired class did surprisingly well on their first test (with me as a teacher). I feel better about what I am doing now.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread