+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Love this plant

Love this plant

The tropical "Pencil Plant" to me is pretty dull unless you see and grow this beauty. It has been on the market for several years now, but when placed in full sun during the summer, "Sticks on Fire" glows This is another good example of a plant cultivar of sport of a common plant that is absolutely uncommon in appearance.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob, I have one of these. It was very small when I bought it but is huge now. It never gets as red as yours. I don't think it got enough bright sun this summer. Next year it gets a sunnier spot. Of course, I have to bring mine in in the winter. Is it hardy there in Tx.?
    tennessee sue

No, it is tropical, Zone 10 and not hardy in TX so I put it in the greenhouse overwinter where it loses its nice color temporarily until placed in full sun again the following year. The more sun this plant gets, the brighter the color and we do have intensely bright sunlight in Austin. It loves the heat of summer hear also.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Mine was pink tinged, but it was in the patio so didn't get as much sun. Then I moved it outside to try to get more color. Along came H. Ivan and away it went, but not to fear! They are usually available in tiny pots locally, so thanks for reminding me that I need to replace it.

It's a really fun plant!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread