+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remote Reading Thermometer saved my Bacon

Thumbs up Remote Reading Thermometer saved my Bacon

Recently I posted a thread about remote reading thermometers. Well, last night mine paid for itself many times over. We were predicted to have a low around 42 degrees so I didn't fire up the heater in the greenhouse - in fact the window was open. About 1 a.m. the alarm on my thermometer went off and told me the greenhouse temps were decreasing and were below 39 degrees. I got up - closed up the greenhouse and lit the propane heater. It eventually got down to about 31 degrees outside, but stayed a nice warm 45 in the greenhouse. Without the thermometer I would have lost several thousand dollars worth of tropical plants (jungle orchid cactus - Epiphyllum). The $20.00 investment paid off handsomely.

Gary was kind enough to get me the remote thermometer and send it to me. It works great . I have it in my bedroom where I can monitor it. Mine is working at around 80 feet. Gary also got me an extra remote. The main base can handle 3 remotes. I wanted an extra because I plan to build another greenhouse, so I can monitor it also. Great little device. I highly recommend it.

steve

I'm going to Walmart tomorrow , I hope I can find one, although I needed it thur. when it went to 15 and yes, for the first time this year my heat went out. I lost all seedlings, tomatoes and odds and ends. I usually go out and start the kerosene heater when it is that cold, just in case, but Tue. I think a Bob Cat got into the big GH and made a huge mess, not to mention killing three cats. I was a chicken to walk out there. The green houses are about 3-400 feet away, not a far walk, just a dark one, out into the middle of woods. I would have driven, but we had 3 inches of rain and I was stuck in the mud. Not a good week. The big GH heated with water filled milk jugs only got to 30 and everything was just fine, including a few tomatoes I put in to test the cold hardy.

Pat
    Log Cabin Pat

No heat

Pat-my heart goes out! I hope this isn't a huge catastrophe for you, but I'm sure it means a lot of labour going for nothing-no fun or dollars.

My GFI kicked out a couple times lately, just happens when it gets really cold, thanks to a law by Mr. Murphy! Only a bit of scorched leaves thankfully-could have been worse.

Hope you can bounce back from this one, Pat. The alarms are a great idea!--Glen in BC

Info on remote reading thermometers for greenhouse

This is just to repost this thread. ANother thread detailing what I bought last year updated also.
    Gary J
    Center Point, TX
    Hill Country Texas Master Gardener
    USDA Zone 7B
    AHS Heat Zone 8

+ Reply to Thread