+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Propagating Loropetalum

Threaded View

Propagating Loropetalum

Am very new to gardening. I have pink loropetalum in my yard. Am moving in 2 weeks to Salisbury, NC and want to take some cuttings with me for myself and father-in-law. I do not understand what is meant by under mist. I would like to know how to cut them (the shrubs are 6 to 7 feet tall and blooming like mad!! and keep them so they will root and I can plant in my new yard as natural fencing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much, Tami
    Tami

Welcome to Landspro, Tami!

You can substitute placing a zipploc bag or something equivalent for misting. Misting is used to prevent the leaves from losing too much moisture and the stems drying out before they get a chance to root.

Use semi-hardwood growth (not brand new green growth), remove most of the lower leaves and pinch off all of the blooms (sorry). You can put several in a one gallon pot, then just cover the top with plastic of some sort, but do not tighten the plastic so much that the leaves do not get any air. Be sure to keep the soil evenly moist and not to wet or too dry.

Put them in a warm place with filtered light (no direct sun) and they should root within 4-6 weeks. It may take longer if they are not warm enough. You need to use rooting hormone. Do you know how to do that?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi Tami and welcome to Landspro.
    If you will use the search on Landspro you can see some of the misting set ups of some of our members. They are very informative. But for you purposes Ann's way is all you need. I will add to put some sticks or something under the plastic to keep it off the cuttings. This way has been used for centuries to start cuttings. (Similar to glass jars over rose cuttings).
    Again, wecome. I love to see other southeasterners on the forum.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread