+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Between Season Antsies(sp.? is it even a word!)

Blog Entries

Between Season Antsies(sp.? is it even a word!)

I'm glad it hasn't hit freezing. The temps are doing the roller coaster thing but the added twist is rain which severely limits being able to do anything. I find myself a little lost. I come to the Board and I think other people must also have the bewteen season antsies. You want to do things, the weather doesn't cooperate and there isn't much to say. Tonight I repotted the huge spath(peace lily) that I rescued (using my discount soil of course). I had to do something as the soil is too wet outside and ironically too wet in the 'other' potting soil I bought ! Think I'll go pop open a bag or two so they can dry out.
    Any one else experiencing the antsies ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    GF, I've been suffering from the antsies for weeks! Can't do anything outside and it's too soon to be planting seeds inside.

Don't even want to think about what I'll be like come spring, a good 6 months from now. Yikes! Talk about cabin fever!!

I play a lot of solitaire!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I suppose the wheels are still turning even if the weather is not cooperating. I am already thinking about the area next to my patio that is shaded by the Weeping Mulberry. Since the patio is next to that area and is itself covered by the upper deck, the space is secluded and peaceful. Iím thinking of placing my little bird bath/water fountain over there(I have a pump for it and the outdoor outlet is nearby). Also, hostas and I am starting to acquire gingers(they will be indoor/outdoor boarders) and I can envision my jumbo peace lily and smaller peace lilies along with some potted sword ferns.
    Tonight I hope to top off the soil in my daylily,et.al. corral. I really donít know if I can plant anymore in the ground(depends on the soil wetness) and Iím iffy on location(darn the sprinkler heads; they restrict me at every turn!).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

The weather doesn't help does it? One day it is cold, or raining, or so windy you can't stand up. We are supposed to have a couple of decent days this week.
    When it gets to cold to be outside I have some planned activities. One is to clean and rearrange the basement to find some more room for early spring seed starting.
    Drawing a scale model of my yard and gardens and making decisions about where new beds can go and where to plant some of the shrubs I have.
    Going through catalogs to find new varieties and oldies that I want. If you've never seen Plants Delight Nursery you must check them out. They have a lot of unusual plants. THe catalog is a learning experience in itself. They have a website.
    Next is working all the overtime I can get. Why? I really want a privacy fence around my yard.
    I guess that should keep me busy for a little while. What are you all going to do?
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Well, let's see what do I have to do:

Sown Daylily seeds.
    Sow seeds from the lily crosses I made this year.
    Sow seeds from the Clematis I harvested.
    Sow a few Hosta seeds from two different varieties, one green leaf nd one variegated.
    Sow some seeds of various other perennials and trees; Hardy Hibiscus, Golden Rain Tree, Service Berry Tree, Pincushion Flower and Stokes Aster. Plus maybe some annuals come spring.

Most of these will be sown in pots outside, but the DLs will be under the lights.

Need to run some auctions to sell more seeds.

Need/Want to build a new web site, if I can just figure out what to feature on it!

Would like to continue up loading images to Flickr and get them arranaged into public and private ablums - IF I KEEP IT. Might just dump everything from Photobucket and start all over there showing the cultivars I have in one album and then all the seedlings seperated by form in their own sub-albums. Would also like to be able to show images of the parents w/o having to do one large composit image or parents and offspring (not that I have so many that I can't esily do that.

Basically I hope to be able to kust do things to keep my mind workin, Heaven knows it needs to be used more! And then, just survive! all the red tape and pitflls of life as a retired person, regardless of the circumstances that brought me to this crossroad in my life.

I might even do a simple sketch of how I would like to re-do my patio so I have someplace to sit instead of having it piled with plants only!

Could stand to clean out the laundry side of the basement too and get rid of a bunch of junk that's accumulated over the last dozen or so years.

I think we can all find lots of things to do, finding the motivation and energy to them is a different matter!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I think I am too tired to be antsie. It's been one of those days...

Give me a few more weeks, and I'll be more than antsie though. Actually, I will probably be in panic mode gettng ready for our first frost. So much to do, and so little time!

All of the rain that we got last night and this morning will help. Temps are dropping and the 1st quarter ends this Friday. I plan to take a day off and just start getting things ready and another day for doctor's appointments, etc.

Then, I need another day to finish getting ready for winter.

Life and time is going by far to fast. It needs to slow down a bit so I can catch my breath!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread