+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "magic flowering carpet" query

"magic flowering carpet" query

I plan to plant a bed resembling the American Flag in an area at our school. I've come across several ads for a preseeded roll out carpet of lobelia in that pattern. Would this be a waste of money or should I just buy the plants? And if so, what would work best?

Thanks in advance.
    Ros

American Flag Plants

Ros,

Since you are considering Lobelia, I am assuming that the garden would be in part shade. In our heat, lobelia only grows well in almost full shade. I have started several varieties from seed, but always did so in cell packs, then transplanted. They are very easy to grow, as long as you keep them well watered.

If a sunnier location is more appropriate, you might want to check out Park Seeds Patriotic collection of verbena. I have found that verbena is not as easy to grow from seed, but I haven't tried very hard. So, I may be wrong. Maybe, someone else has more experience with them?

Good luck with your project at school. We will be startiing a butterfly garden at Hunter's school in the next month. I have lots to do to get prepared to help them out. There is not a lot of money available, but at least there is enough money for a battery operated timer. And I bought lots of butterfly/hummingbird seed last fall for $1 for each large bag last fall, so the elementary children will have a blast seeing things sprout.

We already have volunteers for tilling, etc. I will provide a Passiflora Incarnata, as well as transplants of low growing Lantana, several colors of Buddleia and rooted cuttings of many other plants to give them a head start.

Also, his school received a grant for Rebloom Mobile, and I have already committed to be available for that project.

Good Luck to you and God Bless You for your volunteer efforts!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks Ann. that's EXACTLY what I needed to know. I've no experience with lobelia and the area we need to plant is in full sun.

Your project sounds like fun. Let me know how it turns out.

Our Bible Garden at church is currently on hold till a drainage problem is repaired, so we're going to start next month on a different part of the property using a missionary theme. That area has partial shade so should be a bit easier to do. The little area with the patriotic theme is further down near the school.

Thanks again for the help.
    Ros

Ros,

Lobellia makes a really pretty hanging basket because the stems drape over the sides and it is beautiful when it is covered with blooms. I am glad I could help.

Also, I was surprised that they were selling it as ground cover because the stems (at least the ones that I grew from seed) tend to be rather tender.

I just received word this week that they will start repairing our drainage problem the first part of May. It means tearing up the road, replacing the drainage pipe that runs under the road with a much larger one and making the ditch from there to the main road much bigger.

Since I live in a subdivision with only one way in and out (cul de sac), it is going to be difficult getting in and out for awhile, but it will be worth it if my next door neighbors house never floods again, and my back yard doesn't become rivers and lakes. Maybe, then I can mulch without it washing away...

When we have one of the really bad flooding rains, there is no way in and out of the subdivision until the water clears which somtimes can take hours. We have been begging the county for 20 years to fix the problem, so it is about time!

Good Luck and Have FUN, Ros
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread