+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: frost

frost

Frost was predicted for tonight but when I got up this morning the ground was white. Thank goodness I got all the house plants in last week. Supposed to frost again tonight then warm up some the next few days. Our first frost date is 10-15 so we are a couple of days early.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    We were supposed to get down to 31 degrees Thursday night, but from what I could tell by looking at the plants today, it didn't get that cold. Tonight the forecast is for 33, so there couls be frost, but with as much wind as ther has been all day I rather doubt it.

The Hydragea does have some leaf burn but the Mums and Taod Lilies all looked fine and none of the Daylilies I looked at seemed affected. I am hoping for a calm, windless day soon so I can cover the plant stand and turn it into a cold fram for the babies. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the 14 inch pot withthe 7 seedlings will also have to go into the cold frame. It's sittingon my back steps right now, but since the handyman still hasn't put the back common door back on it's hinges it gets plenty of sun light, but not nearly as much wind. I think they will be fine in the cold frame as it will stay warm enough during the day to keep them growing for quite awhile. I hope to be able to put a couple odf 5 gallon buckets of water in the bottome of it to help heat it at least until winter gets here. In fact, I could probably put a couple of aquarium, heaters in the buckets to really warm things up at night. What I would really like to do is build a wooden frame around the plant stand and put plastic on both the outside and the inside and have a door that could be swung up to open it for watering and hinged right so it could then sit over the top of the structure or propped open on warm days. Only draw-back is the cat who likes to sit on top of it!

Winter is coming regards of how much we wish it ouldn't.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    We'll have to report on who gets the first freeze. We were close too but are out of thewoods for now. Blankets have been on since Wed. night; will remove tomorrow. Gotta check for rain; the weathermen keep bouncing back and forth btw Mon and Sun and that makes a big diff to me !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

We've had our first frost here and then a few days more.
    The weather has been and is supposed to be low 40's at night and mid 50's in the day.
    I brought a bunch of my potted new guinea impatiens and geranimuns in but but the impatiens back outside to soon and the frost nipped them.
    I put the brugs into the garage and they did just fine. They are getting ready to bloom, although the cooler temps have
    slowed them down. I brought one in hoping to see a few more blooms from them.
    I'm going to do buckets of cuttings from them so if anyone
    wants some for postage, lmk.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    EW! There is nothing sadder looking than frost nipped impatiens !
    Hey Sue ! I hear there might be flooding in your neck of the woods ?

Oh, gee!

I shiver at the thought of frost!

We are still having very warm (HOT) days, but the forecast says that we will start chilling out a bit in a couple of days... meaning that the temps will drop below 80 for quite a few days.

The rain was coming down pretty hard when I left for school this morning. My classroom floor was WET. The dehumidifier had filled up as usual. I grabbed a couple of packages of paper towels from the closet and demonstrated to the 1st block class how to clean the floor without a mop. Mind you... This is not my class, but rather the teacher who 'floats' into my classroom first block, but that teacher didn't seem to mind my assistance at all.

We opened the windows because the air conditioning had been off. The room was hot and muggy. I remembered that I needed to bring a fan for emergency times like this, but it was storming too bad to even consider going back home for one.

The network server was down all day, and some of the classes took quarter ending exams despite a high level of absences.

When I got home, I checked the guage and apparently about 3" of rainfall had fallen in the last 24 hours.

I won't complain. We needed the rain. We are still 23 inches behind on normal rainfall (since Jan. 1).

I am still shivering at the thought of frost. I am no where even near ready to think about it.

Just keep reminding me, okay?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    What a Day ! I can just see you with those paper towels and probably that deer in the headlights look from everyone else.

You described it perfectly!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It's been getting pretty cold at night here, and though there have been some light frosts in the more open areas I can honestly say very few of the plants (even annuals) in my beds have been affected much by them. The Mums, Snapdragones and Red Lady Sage are still looking good, the daylilies seen unfazed altogether! The Hydrangea does have some frost damage on the top leaves, and I am still wondering why it didn't bloom this year. It did make tremendous growth that I will have to protect this winter. The miniature roses are still blooming as are the Budlieas that I didn't prune back already.

So no killing frost here yet. Lots of rain and today I will have to water the seedlings in the cold frame and since it's supposed to be in the 70's I'll leave it open so air can circulate and the plants get a bit more light. That blanket really blocks more than just the wind. With all the rain we've had these are the only plants I will have to water, Yippie!

I will be planting some seeds today; Clematis and the LA Hyb. Lily crosses I made and maybe some Hosta, Stokes Aster and Hyssop. Although I think I might reserve the Hosta seeds for planting under the lights with the daylily seeds.

The Toad Lilies are still blooming, apparently they don't mind a few light frosts! Even had a couple of blooms open on a Stella growing on the NE side of the house.

Leaves are continuing to fall and have been doing a good job of hitting the mini DL bed and appling winter protection to it and I have noticed the same is happening in the back bed but I will have to have the neighbor dump his leaf rakings onto the bed to give it a really good covering and all the potted plants corraled there.

It is about time for us to get a killing frost, although I'd just as soon skip any real winter weather. That is strickly a pipe dream though.

I've been noticing how much better the back looks since I pruned down the Red Twig Dogwood at the corner of the south patio and have been thinking about where this monster shrub could be moved to. Best location I can come up with is on the OTHER side of the back fence! Don't think the land owner would like that and I know the shrub wouldn't be easilly dug and moved. Still, I would like to have it moved and put something smaller in its place, perhaps one of the Locust trees since it can be limbed up once its big enough and it will provide some very nice open shade.

Still thinking about what to do about the two Clematis whose arbor has to be replaced. I've even thought about re-locating both of them or even just one and having an arbor that spans the pathway between the seedling bed and the patio bed. And the Snowball bush needs to either be moved or cut down and allowed to re-grow into a better shape. Of course, it is another that really gets too big for this small yard.

I think I need to not only be triplets, but half my age as well! so I can get all the things done that I want to do to the landscape!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Well it has gotten into the upper 70's today. How nice. Will be pretty tomorrow too. Then back to rain again. Cathy, we did get a lot of rain the last few days but luckily no flooding. We really did need the rain though.
    The frost we had did nip my hydrangea,too. It had a couple of late blooms that were blue when I went to work. They were brown when I got home the next morning. It also got the impatients at work. They had been really full of blooms, but all good things must end I guess. It did also hurt my toad lillies.
    Ann, it is hard for me to imagine still having such high temps. We get cold for a while and have a few warm days here and there but never more than just a day or two at a time.
    I will remind you though that t is coming to you eventually. When is your first frost date? Sounds like you have a while to get ready. It sounds like you have your hands full without worrying about frost anyway.
    I am off tomorrow so I will get to enjoy the warm temps while thay last. Yeah!
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    36 tonight. Blanket brigade made the rounds just in case !
    Side Note: Acquired some mint today. Ate at IHOP with co-workers this morning and on the way out(in the wind, cold and spiiting rain), I saw and stopped to pull up --mint ! It is in water right now and I'm going to pot it up. I know it spreads but I like it.

Cathy, II like mint,too. There are so many different one now days. But my favorite is apple mint. It has fuzzier leaves and smalls like apples ripening.. Makes great tea. I will send you some if you'd like.
    Right now I'm waiting for it to warm up just a tad so I can go out and move more plants. Got a few moved yesterday and some dirt in pots for some of my daylily seeds that sprouted. Got some weeds cut down and pulled out. Going to rain tomorrow so I really need to get to it today.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I think that I'm almost ready to buy the plastic for the plant corral and call it a season. The sun is out today and it is warmer but the ground is too wet from the rain yesterday to plant. The next rain is Thursday and temps should be higher after tonight. But I'm tired of the blanket drills(run out at night to cover the plants and remove in the morning). I think we had a freeze last night anyway as hubby says the water in the dog's dish was frozen solid. I will slip a few bags of daylily seedlings into the ground(close to the house where it is drier) but that's about it. Anyway, next week, I will have very long days at work and will not be able to cover the plants in the early evening. I also want to get busy fixing up the basement as I haven't done much with it since we moved in last year. It is nice and I'd like to be able to hang out down there. (It's walkout so the windows look out onthe backyard and pond). I fixed up some more houseplants today and relocated a couple.
    Well, the sun is shining, so I'd better catch some rays while I can !

According to the weather forecast, we are going to get down to 41 in the next couple of days. Believe it or not, I have seen frost in some areas of my yard at 37-39 degrees, so some tender plants will start getting moved to the patio.

I should still have another month before our first official frost, but I have a feeling that it will be before then.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I moved as many plants as I could, so it is wait and see how everything does.

I would have liked to have had more time to move more of the hanging baskets, but I think they are going to be fine. They may be nipped, but I don't think they will die.

The greenhouse is shut up, but the porch is still open. Usually, everything under cover is just fine as long as there is no real freeze. The really tender plants are on the patio which is closed now.

My red passifloras and thunbergias are simply loaded with blooms and buds as well as the confederate rose.

I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon how everything goes...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast