+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Members Status

New Members Status

Most of the 'fake' new members have url addresses and most have interests that are totally unrelated to gardening or to propagating.

It seems that in all cases, they have an ICQ number, whatever that is. I forgot because I don't use it and never have.

Currently, I am still manually changing member status to active. New members cannot post until I do this.

There is always a chance that I may incorrectly not activate someone, and if I do, the only way that I will know this is if the new member emails me to introduce themselves.

In the meantime, Cathy is doing a great job of trying to block the obscene new members and I truly appreciate that because I rarely get a chance to check on landspro during the day.

Please know that these are 'bots', short for robot meaning that there is no real person, but they have a program that registers with a fake name then tries to post. They can do this because so many forums work the same way. They can do if's, and's, or's and respond programatically.

I do appreciate everyone's patience and assistance as I battle this problem. Needless to say, Landspro is not the only forum being attacked by these 'bots'. There are many, many...

Just wanted to give you an update and thank you for understanding!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I'm afraid that our new member, the nurse is not legit. The web site pointed to an advertisement for nursing school along with a lot of other links to ads as well as a not so nice popup.

I have removed reference to the site and not approved of membership.

If any of you know otherwise, please advise me. On some of these, I simply have to make the call...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    well, the frequency seems to be abating; maybe our pranksters are getting busier with schoolwork and/or sports.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I just wish they would get busy somewhere other than the internet.

I am in the process of preparing for an upgrade of this software. The process will begin in about a week, and I'll warn all of you first in case, for some reason, the site goes down for a day or so.

The first step is to allocate more space for Landspro. I already have the space, but need to reallocate so that I can do a full backup.

The second step is to upgrade the software. That is more work and requires a little more research.

I see that adding some words to the not allowed list has replaced **** with some parts of plant names, so I need to change that.

Please be patient with me. The next few weeks will be pretty busy for me in preparation for this upgrade which is a major one and requires a big learning curve.

Once upgraded, I can make the changes necessary to block these 'monsters'.

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread