+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Annual Race Against Time

Blog Entries

The Annual Race Against Time

Is anyone else out there in a race against time(i.e., freezing temps) ?! Now I know that Andrea told me the other day that she has 40 daylilies to plant, so Andrea you must be up against time as well ! I knew that today would not be as productive as yesterady which is why I took off yesterday. I will get in more hours tomorrow but have to put in some think time as to WHAT IF ? (we get exteremely cold temps before I can plant again). Even though it's supposed to be 80 tomorrow,they are saying a low of 38 towards the end of the week. Scare-EE! My triage plan is basically: registered cultivars go in first as do all my 2006 maiden bloomers. If I miss the boat, 2005 hybrids could stay one more winter in pots(they aren't any of yours Rebecca--all your babies are front and center in the new bed), bagged seedlings could get potted and wintered over with the 2005 potted hybrids(a new cold frame). All true lilies are potted and will be whisked into the garage should it get very cold. And at some point I have to cotton hul mulch everyone outside. I just looove this last minute rush Yes, I asked myself what I was doing all summer: the answer was that it was 105 degrees--oh yeah, now I remember !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Gee, Cathy!

Here I am waiting for reasonal temps so that I can dig without being drenched in perspiration, and I look at the temps for this next week and see a cold front with a low of 45. Naturally, I thought about all of you and started searching cities.

I see that many of you are going to see temps dip to around 30-35 degrees.

NO! I'm not ready for that and won't be for another month or so. Like you, it's simply been so HOT and I see that your temps are still running neck to neck with mine, until that cold front that is coming....

Your temps are much more widely varied than mine. Ouch! That's gotta hurt!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It got really cold here yesterday. I had to turn on the heat last night. But today it is warmer again and supposed to be even warmer tomorrow. You never know this time of year.
    I did get the house plants in but still have outdoor plants to move together and much. I have some things that should go into bigger pots but I am out of them so things will have to go to bed for winter the way they are. It's been a few years since I had to worry about plants outside so I hope everything makes it.
    Like everyone else I blame the heat this summer for being so far behind. I just can't handle heat and humidity like we had this year.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I was going to try tobeat Mother Nature, but she played a dirty trick and rained so I just quit trying to put plants in the ground. All the 4" potted seedlings are on the plant stand waiting for it to get cold enough to have the plastic cover put on. All of the potted DLs are sequestered in the back bed and ready for leaf-mullch and I put additional potted plants in between the rows in the mini bed. Everything else is sitting either on the second shelf of the plant stand bin the potting rea or on pallets in the potting area, except for the big tub/urn planted and they are on the tarmack buted up against the pallets. I even have a few plants inthe nieghbor's yard still, but all on a pallet and ready for sleep.

Stillhave one tropical outside and a few desert plants on the front forch, easy to whisk in if frost is in the forecast.

Drilled holes in 4 dish pans today. Happened across the fourth one while putting up the hose and drilled it first them, one by one, I dumped the other pans into one that was drilled until I ended up with all four of them filled with soil and ready for seeds. Also gathered together additional pots for the remining space on the lighted shelf fo sowing seeds.

About the only other thing I did today was to sort my SPUF crosses by pod parents and use make-shift index cards to seperate them so it would be easier to find them when filling orders. Still need to do the same with Full form crosses and some others crosses. Also still need to sort out the seeds that go to MO and all the ones I hope to be able to grow on myself. I have 3 orders to package and am waiting on one to come in.

Did a bit of Internet surfing and found a really good price on padded envelopes for mailing seeds, now just need the $$ to buy them with. I prefer to buy supplies in bulk, but right now I'm having to get them by the "eaches" or use the plaine manilla envelops I have on hand with some bubble pack photo fram packing sleeves I had saved from WM days. I knew they'd come in handy eventually!

I did plant crocus bulbs today and yesterday I planted the fer Daffodil and Tulip bulbs I'd saved for myself. The mound bed is going to look very nice in a couple of years.

Still waiting on the lily seed pods to ripen so I can harvest them and get them planted the same day, their pots of soil are ready and waiting for them, but I do need to make lables for them yet. I've already scattered open pollinated pods from several of the Asiatic types in several smaller pots and have sown 2 colors of hardy hibiscus and one pot of Candy Lilies, or maybe they were the Blackberry lilies. I'd alread direct sown Candy lilies over in the big bed next to the lily bulblets. Still need to fill pots for the Clematis seeds I hope to grow. It looks like they will be sown in fine back mulch since that's about all that's left to plant with.

Cathy you need to remember that daylilies need a good 6 to 8 weeks to develop a root system. Don't plant too deep - if some of the roots around the crown are visible it won't hurt them as they can be coverd with mulch, but you want the crowns setting high. My back bed will have to be tilled before I can plant it and that's where the hold up came in, too wet to work. And this clay just gets stickier if you work it when it's wet.

All now,

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I worked real hard at trying to keep crowns high and maintain something of a slope in the ‘right direction’. Mother Nature is about to play the same dirty trick on me as well-rain- and lows very close to freezing. My 3 days of planting wasn’t enough. Probably about 16 dl’s remain in pots and all my lilies(which is how I want it for the lilies). The only challenge will be all the bagged seedlings(and probably about 10 adult cultivars). I still think that I can buy some 16x9x 8 cement block and place one layer, fill with soil/amendments, and take the daylilies out of the bags and plop them in. Plop means don’t try to separate the seedlings from each other; for the most part, the soil has bonded them together. Pulling them apart is a spring thing but not a late fall thing. I do envision lilies in the garage and maybe a mini cold frame for the potted daylilies. Last year’s cold frame went into the trash after the painters finished a week ago. Particle board and winter, spring and summer weather just don’t mix; it was falling apart. I probably should have hung onto the plastic but I was in a throw everything out mode that day anyway it, too, gets brittle with age. Well, it looks like Tuesday, I’ll be putting the potted lilies in the garage and rounding up the daylilies to throw blankets on them. I have a nice wool one on the glider swing outside that my dog sleeps on at night; she’ll just love me for borrowing it. She already has decided that in order to get attention she ought to become a daylily: she has taken to lying in the back of my new daylily bed.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Window boxes were on sale 1/2 price at both Lowes and Walmart, so I picked up some more for transplanting Amaryllis seeds to overwinter.

I'm running low on potting soil, so that's on my list for this weekend.

The weather is finally getting reasonably cool, but here it is the end of the quarter at school, so I have tons to do. Now, the forecast shows lots of rain. That's a good thing for planting, but bad if it rains all the time when I am off work.

We are getting the cold front after you do, so I am looking forward to even cooler weather. Cooler for here means 85 degrees or less.

I am no where near ready for frosts. I don't even want to think about it except for getting these babies transplanted (includes daylily seedlings).

But you all need to keep reminding me that frost is around the corner and FORCE me to start thinking about getting ready so that I won't be kept off guard!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread