+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elephant ears

Elephant ears

I got 2 black elephant ear bulbs this spring. I need to know how to prepare them and store them for winter. They are still pretty expensive and I don't want to lose them. They were pretty small when I got them but have grown and done well this summer. Please advise.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

Mine was small when I bought it. In fact, it was discounted because it was in poor shape. (You know me... Can't pass those up!)

It was potted, and I kept it in the patio (enclosed and more than 40 degrees F.) during the winter. It pretty much went dormant, but not completely. It had very little light and very little water.

I was pleased to see it not only survive, but do well this summer dispite the shape it was in last fall.

I guess what I am saying is that you can probably just put pot and all in your basement and stop watering until you take it back out next spring. You might want to stick you finger in there and make sure that the bulb is not shriveling too bad from dryness. It wouldn't hurt to water just a little during the winter months. Just don't let the bulb freeze.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thank you Ann. Into the basement they go pot and all.I do want to stick my finger in there and see how much the bulbs have grown. I do know one of them has a baby as I have some small new leaves coming up beside the other bulb. I actually bought these pretty cheap on ebay. The larger ones were too expensive for me and Olivia (daughter)wanted some. We have really enjoyed them this summer.
    tennessee sue

I've been on this forum forever and didn't know you had a
    daughter Sue. How old is she?? Do you have more than 1 child??

I have 2 different EE's. Got the black one at the farmer's market cheap 2.00! That's cheap, cheap for here. The other
    one is from my friend Ed, that sent me all the brug cuttings.
    It's a babyfrom his mammoth one he got last year at walmart for 5.00. This bulb was a big as a small soccer ball!!! It made babies so he shared one with me. I've grown them in my pond and they've thrived. Guess I'd better get them out of the pond and drying out, so they can be stored.
    Happy gardening,
    Vicki
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,
    I just have the one daughter who is 32. I had her when I was 5(yeah right).LOL
    I love the elephant ears and hope to keep mine for a long time. I have seen some hugh regular elephant ears. I am going to get some next year.
    It is time for me to go to work so will see ya'll later.
    tennessee sue

I found a small potted green and black elephant ear. It is very pretty.

My black one has become gorgeous this year. It's in a pot and will be protected for one more winter, then it should be able to survive in the ground. I hope to propagate it just in case.

When I was growing up, Mom had some gigantic green ones by the back steps. They were pretty, but I think I just got tired of seeing them every day. I haven't gotten tired of that, yet, I suppose, so it will be awhile before I dedicate garden space for the more readily available ones.

I like the smaller, more unusual ones, but I guess that is because I have always liked 'different'.

I suppose that says something about me, huh? Different?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Green and Black Elephant Ear....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, that plant is Colocasia antiquorum "illustris'. I grew it in Houston but didn't bring it to Austin. It is a fast spreader and loves a very wet or boggy place.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread