malva zebrina
    blanket flower goblin
    purple smoke tree
    butterfly bush
    heavenly blue morning glories
    peony-dark red
    liatris-gayfeather
    heuchera

Probably a few more, but that all I can remember right now.
    Happy harvesting,
    Vicki

Blog Entries
    Geeze, Vicki, I've been harvesting hundreds, maybe even thousands of daylily seeds, isn't that enough?!

Of course not! So I've been gathering :

Clematis (hoping to get seeds from 6 varieties)
    Balsam
    4 O'Clocks (magenta and yellow)
    Purple and white Coneflower (most of which have already been sent out)
    Red Lady Sage
    Nigelia (Love-in-a-Mist)
    Hyssop
    Hardy Hibiscus
    Blackberry Lily
    Candy Lily
    Asiatic Lily (and immediately sown)

And I'm waiting on three crosses I made on my yellow LA Hybrid lily to ripen so I can plant them. I understand liliy seeds don't stay viable for very long, so it is best to plant them right away.

Oh, and I've also harvested a few seeds from a Gold Edge Hosta from one of the neighbors.

What I will do with all of these seeds is anyone's guess!

I won't be saving seeds from the Budleias this year since I have so many seedlings now I don't know what to do with them all. Plus I tossed out all the seeds I had saved from last year and there will most likely be lots of them come up next spring. I had gone through all of last year's seeds and tossed a bunch of them out by the back fence figuring if any of them can they will come up in the spring.

There's a lot of seeds I scatter about as I pick them off, snapdragons for one and Nicotiana is another, then when they come up in the spring I move some where they are needed and the rest just do their own thing,

I did harvest a few seeds from a Golden Rain Tree, but don't know if or when I will try to grow any since I don't have anyplace to plant them once they get big enough to put in the ground!

If anyone sees something in my short list they like, give me a holler! Be happy to share, but no trades, please! I ain't got no room!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I have to admit that I haven't done as much seed harvesting this year, but I went outside to check out a few.

The crepe myrtles (dwarf and regular) have lots of seeds on them.

I already harvested all of the daylilly and candy lily seeds.

The cannas bloomed late because of the drought, but I see seed pods on my dwarfs.

I already harvested Purple majesty millet (needs to be cleaned).

Clematis have already gone to seed and been harvested.

Hardy orchid (one pod) has been harvested, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that.

My purple smoke tree is always producing more and more seeds. Some are in the fridge.

American Beautyberry has already gone to seed, but I prefer to take cuttings of that one.

I haven't checked the rose hips lately.

Texas Star hibiscus has produced seeds which have been harvested. There is one more pod that is almost ready.

I adore balsam, especially the doubled ones, but I didn't have time to plant any this year.

The red butterfly weed produced seed pods earlier and is still blooming. I see that more pods are trying to form.

My tricyrtis are about to bloom. We'll see if they make seeds this year.

Coleus has already gone to seed, and I didn't harvest any this year, so they are on their own for coming back. I see more blooms, so there will be more seeds.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Whoops!

How could I forget? I harvested 5 camellia seeds. There are still several pods and unfortunately, some pods dropped the seeds before I could get to them. I'll have to look amongst the leaves to see if I can find any of those that dropped. There is landscape fabric under the camellia bush, but it is covered with leaves and dried blooms.

I really do want to try these seeds because this is an older variety that forms a small tree. It takes forever to get big enough to flower, but I plan on sticking around that long.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The question is what haven't I collected!?!

Apart from thousands of daylily seeds, I've got:

Iris
    Camellia
    Hellebore
    Agapanthus
    Nigella
    Asclepius (sp? Butterfly weed)
    Veggies (Heritage varieties, not hybrids)
    Peony
    Clematis integrifolia
    Clematis armandii
    Salvia
    Thalictrum
    Nicotiana

off the top of my head...

Ann, I've found some self sown seedlings under my camellias, I don't know whether to try to dig them up and grow them on in pots, or leave them undisturbed and let them get a bit bigger before moving them. What do you think is best?

I've managed to harvest 10 seeds from the camellia. A few dropped before I spotted them, and I hope to find them amongst the leaves and dried blooms below the tree.

I counted 14 pods on my red butterfly weed. Now, if I can just manage to harvest those before frost and/or they fly away.

I harvested a Clerodendrum Ugandense (blue butterfly) seed, and I have already planted it. It's sort of like a berry with lots of pulp, a dark seed coat and a hard seed that looks like a grape seed. I'll have to check the larger one to see if there are any ripe ones. I think the birds usually get them before I do.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The only things I have harvested is those typical yellow day lily and that pink one I have... I ended up not getting a seed out of the wonderfull peach one I adore...every seed pod shriveled.... booho

was so hoping to play with that one...

Come next year...Thanks to Rebecca and another person from tinkers I am actually have some awsome liliies!!!

As u can tell, spelling bad and Amber has 3 exams this week and a field trip with the elementry..8yr. olds...Childrens theatre... I'm already tired.....lol

have a good week all..

Amber
    Amber

The peach one is gorgeous.

Amber, Maybe your peach one is a tet. That would explain the seed pods shriveling if you pollinated it with a diploid.

What do you think, Rebecca?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It could be that the peach one is a Tet or maybe just pod infertile. It could be self infertile or it might not be mature enough to fully develop the pods. Plus the weather wasn't all that great for setting pods and maturing them them this year.

There are just too many different reasons for a pod to abort anytime during the development process.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread