+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trash picking

Trash picking

Picked these up out of the neighbors trash. Can't imagine
    why they threw it away, not a thing wrong with them.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Chair

Got 6 chairs too, all with cushions. Even has
    back round cushions too.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Vicki- From one trash picker to another--THUMBS UP--way to go ! Unbelievable ! That table is fantastic and those chairs?! Wow !
    Awesome, awesome find !

BTW, there is a German, or maybe yiddish, word for trash picking. I knew it once but don't anymore. I'd love to find it so that we TP's can have a classier name !

Way to Go !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Vicki,

You did Good! No! Not good, GREAT!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

a German, or maybe yiddish, word for trash picking.

Certainly a yiddish term; I do not remind of one
    However if my fading memory will though reveal one I shall not hesitate to inform you

Vicky you were fortunate *thumbsup*
    I admit that I keep my eye open on the local monthly bulky garbage in my region also

Hans-Werner

Blog Entries
    This is just another example of how wasteful our sociecty can be, especially those who have more money than brains. Luckily for you and our landfills that you got to it first.

I find it a very disgusting practice to simply toss something in the trash that might be of use or benefit to someone else, and it doesn't matter if it is animal, vegetable or mineral!

JMHO, loudly stated,

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

We are all so much alike! I work in a very wealthy neighborhood. You wouldn't believe waht these people throw away. Someone had a hugh potted plant out with a bunch of other items a couple of months ago. By the time I got turned around and back to it, it was gone! Lots of people cruise around these areas right before pick up day.
    tennessee sue

Thanks All!

Glad you were all tickled for me too!!! My kids groan and moan at me when I stop when something catches my eye,
    but they love to go yardsaling and to goodwill. Go figure!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    I can't begin to count all the plants I've rescued out of the W-M dumpster, when they had and outside dumpster. Hostas, roses, shrubs, daylilies (yep, daylilies), mums, hundreds of mums in fact, but for the pots and soil since the plants were long dead. Rhododendrums and an odd azalea. The Hardy Hibiscus were dumpster dives as was my red Tropical HIbiscus and the pollen parent to my seedlings. Annuals on occasion and once I even got a perfectly good Lantana that someone tossed by mistake and there wasn't a thing wrong with and I still have it! I used to get a lot of larger pots that way too. Then W-M did away with their open dumpsters and started putting everything through the compactor/secure dumpster. God forbid some poor slump should find something useful in their trash and not have to pay for it!

Last week I brought home the center cushion from a sofa to use as a cat bed (what a joke, they sleep in my bed!), then the next day I brought home one of the tiny crock pots used for potpuri and a small (one quart?) crock pot with a lift out liner that doesn't even look like it was ever used. Both even had their lids! If I had been a bit braver and gone through things I could have brought home a few of the small throw blankets and heaven only knows what else I could have found. If I'd had my car, I probably would have! It's hard to grab and go when you're walking! I've gotten some very nice hand made frames, a few nic-nacks and a garden hose reel.

You'd be surprised what folks leave behind when they move out in the dead of night. I've gotted several pieces of usable furniture that way.

Yep, I'm a certified member of the United Dumpster Divers Association!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Augh ! I had a big old post and it went -poof !
    I was writing about when I visit my Mom in Florida that Wednesday is treasure hunting day. Last March I came up with a silver plated serving tray(heavily tarnished but polished up great), a magnolia print in a frame and a chandelier which I will refinish/refurbish this winter. All from the same 'pile.'
    I will post another time about how I got them from Florida to Kansas without spending a fortune. The serving tray was easy--I carried that on the plane. The other two --especially the chandelier--took months of planning.
    The magnolia print looks like this(mine is in a green frame and they have it mounted such that the signature is on the right side--so it is technically hanging in the wrong direction but it looks bigger thatway)):
    http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/PD--...33240253D6B553

The chandelier(they are always on Ebay so I liberated a photo--mine will be refinished):
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Speaking about trash picking, I often find things such as tossed out aluminum mini-blinds that can be cut and used as permanent plant labels, nice large clay or decor pots with dead plants in them - those pots being very expensive if bought new, and sometimes plastic pots that I wash and reuse for my propagated plants.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread