+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't know what I'm getting myself into

Don't know what I'm getting myself into

OK. Here goes. I have just signed up to be an editor for the Open Directory Project. I've started off on a small category inside Home: Gardening: Plants . I know that you all have your favourite websites for various plants, and wondered if any of you could send me links to 1 or 2 of your favourites? Maybe they are already included in the directory, but maybe they aren't! If its not there, then it probably should be.

The ODP is entirely free - and its mission states that:

The Open Directory was founded in the spirit of the Open Source movement, and is the only major directory that is 100% free. There is not, nor will there ever be, a cost to submit a site to the directory, and/or to use the directory's data. The Open Directory data is made available for free to anyone who agrees to comply with our free use license.
    I thought that it would be okay to ask for help.

Note that Google is a licensed user and uses the directory in their listings. So sites listed in the directory appear quite high in google searches. It is a great way to share sites that you like!

[Edit: Either PM me, or send me email directly (hope that by clicking on my name, you get the option of emailing me...)]

Cheers,
    Shannan

I would also appreciate daylily sites! Especially those that are not just sales. Any favourites?

Cheers,
    Shannan

Shannan,

I was the 'volunteer' for this one:

http://dmoz.org/Home/Gardening/Plants/Propagation/

That was about 5 years ago. It hasn't grown much since then. One day, I would like to add some more. I see that they are looking for a volunteer. I was dropped I think when I didn't add anything for over a year.

I think it is great that you are willing to volunteer. Can you give us the link to what is already there?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I think they make the account inactive if you don't edit for more than 4 months, unless you tell them that 'real life' or whatever means that you need a sabbatical for longer. Though I'm sure they would be happy to have an experienced editor back.

I think its a great project - even more so because it is all volunteer. But if the editor is good, its like having a friend pass you some of their useful links.

I've started off in Dayliles (surprised?!) and will expand from there. (Though I can certainly add in links for other categories, they just need to be reviewed by that category editor before being made 'live'.) I've been going through links at Charlotte's too see if there are any more that I can add. At the moment, I'm looking for sites that are informative and are not just selling dayliles (there are already 122 of those!)

Here's what is already there:

http://dmoz.org/Home/Gardening/Plants/H/Hemerocallis/

My previous post had the general like to all the plant listings. I'm also keen to see if there are any specific plants that are missing... or maybe you guys know some great Brug sites that aren't listed? Roy sent me a great list of various sites that I'm working through now.

Thanks again everyone!

Shannan

+ Reply to Thread