+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wacky Weather Day

Blog Entries

Wacky Weather Day

Arrived at work in unbelievable wind and heavy rain. Thought my golf umbrella would do the trick. First thing that happened is the wind turned it inside out. I spent the next 5 minutes trying to tame the umbrella. I tried facing the wind with it but only half folded back. I tried pushing it against the ground and against the car. Briefly tried to push it back into the car while stuck open--well, shoot, that won't work ! Finally, duh, pushed that metal thingy down and I could fold it and reopen it. Had to use it partially opened as I walked to the building or else it would do a repeat performance. I was soaked. Luckily, we have a locker room with 2 hair dryers. Spent 20 minutes drying my pants, shoes, socks and hair !
    The day concluded with me being in a conference room working alone when suddenly the PA system played an announcement(complete with that silly clanging bell) that 'This is a tornado warning; proceed to the nearest tornado shelter'. I was going to ignore it but thought better of doing that. The nearest shelter was down the stairs and across the hall. I had my choice of the rest room or utility room. I chose the utilty room and spent about 30 minutes in there with only about 8 other people. It would have been packed if it wasn't the end of day. Anyway, after that we got the 'all clear--return to your 'workstations' recording.
    What a day !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Our ground is soggy. We had over 3.5 inches of rain in the last 2 days. Most of that was last night and this morning, but I don't know how much because I forgot to dump the rain gauge.

It has been so terribly dry this year that I don't think I will ever complain about the rain, even when it floods.

Well, at least if the flooding waters do not enter my home.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We caught the tail end of the system that dumped so much rain on Kentucky and Southern Indiana. It rained all weekend so I got nothing done. I normally wouldn't complain but this is the first weekend I've had off in about 2 years. I even had someone to come and help me clean up basement and move in plants and amass the outsdoor plants and get them positioned for winter. Needless to say all I got done was a little housework. But we did need the rain.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread