+ Reply to Thread

Thread: West MI weather

West MI weather

The weather has really been fall like the last 4 days or so.
    Gloomy and rainy and chilly. Not cold, just chilly 58 for highs
    and low 50's at night. The gardens look great for all the rain
    we've had. Helps the newly planted settle in.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki, Your cool front swooped down my way. We didn't get much rain but has been cooler. Low 50's at night but the sun has been out and in 70's during the day. Perfect weather if only it lasted longer.
    tennessee sue

It's here, too! And WOW! Do I thank you!!!!!

We're having a high of 85 tomorrow, but the best news is that it is going to be 55 in the morning. That is going to feel NICE!!!

It rained a little yesterday and last night.

My pink brugsmansia are loaded with blooms. I wanted to take a picture, but the rain messed up the blooms somewhat.

The Thunbergia grandiflora is blooming magnificantly. The butterfly Clerodendrum is in full bloom. The passifloras have lots of blooms despite the caterpillars eating the leaves and some of the blossoms. Antique roses, cypress vines, morning glories, butterfly weeds, buddleia (not as much as before), pentas, canna, sedum, hibiscus, and so many more.

I love this time of the year!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We had light frost

We had light frost here last night. I managed to cover
    all my brugs (took 3 sheets each!!!) and the annuals so I
    have a couple more weeks of color.
    The brugs are loaded with buds, they've really liked this cooler weather. I think the Jean Pasko will open tonight and maybe the frosty pink too. I'm going to be overwintering
    the brugs in my GF's basement, so I hope to have blooms
    way earlier next year.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Here in Central Indiana, we've had about the same weather as the rest of the Eastern US. Fall like conditions, some rain and quite chilly, especially at night.

No frost here last night, but wasn't taking any chances so managed to get the rest of the house plants moved inside - not necessarily put where they will be all winter, just inside. Except for the small group of cacti on the very top of the rack system on the patio, those come in the way they went out, through the kitchen window. With them that close to the house and my having the heat on I wasn't worried about them getting any frost. Besides, they are tough and can tke a little frost. I will try to get them in in the next few days, after I re0install the shelf they sit on. I had hoped to put them in the basement, but, alas, I've run out of room! I need to put a second fixture up over the lantan plants so they get enough light and still have tubes to replace. I've decided to leave the 'Heavenly Bamboo' outside this winter, especially since I don't really have a spot for it. It will go into the "cold frame" with the daylily seedlings. It should be fine in there.

The water lily is still in the pond as as soon as a frost does nip it back it will be bagged and come inside and be stored away for winter.

Weather is supposed to be in the 80's sometime in the next few days and hopefully it will last a couple of weeks to give me a little more time to gatehr all the potted plants together in the unplanted bed for winter. I have them on the neighbor's patio now and thought about leaving them there, but that patio can flood in eayly spring and that would not be good. So I wil try to smooth out the bed a bit so everything sit squarly on the ground and move them all out there. Hopefully it will be just in time for the trees to shed their leaves over them!

Well better get back to the grindstone, I've been making composit images of the daaylily seed crosses parents for three days now and am not colse to finished! I have also been putting them in my Photobucket album if anyone wants to get a preview of the crosses I will be putting on the auction. Here's the link to the home page :

Hemmaholic's Albums

Click on "Virtual Hybridizing" for the seeds from other growers and on "Crosses - 2006" for my own crosses. If you see ones you like, give me a holler, we'll work something out!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I haven't disappeared but am consumed with tilling a new bed and planting oodles of daylilies. The weather is a definite plus can you believe this:

http://www.ksn.com/weather/forecastw.html
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I'm pulling weeds and getting ready to start planting some daylilies.

It's 78 degrees....

http://weather.mgnetwork.com/cgi-bin...r.cgi?user=KRG
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Wow ! We have very similar weather !

Blog Entries
    It was postively toasty out there today. I see the temp is 96 and they predicted 93. I had a tough time powering through the planting. All 25 of Rebecca's daylilies are in now ! YAY !
    Next...the potteds.

They have raised our temp forecast also. It is close to 90 here, and I gave up working in the greenhouse when I couldn't see anymore due to perspiration dropping (not dripping) off my eyelashes.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We are having chiily nights but warm days (70's). Supposed to be that way all week. Last week it rained a lot so I didn't get much done.
    Yesterday my great nephew came and helped me clean out the basement some and move most of the houseplants in. That is a big relief to get that done. Still have a few more that are out back and some that can go upstairs.
    Next is moving all the outdoor plants into one area and mulching around them. Trying to find some pine straw to throw on them. It is my favorite mulch and works well to help the potted plants overwinter. Not as messy as leaves and doesn't pack down. But I may have to use some leaves as I have lots and they are free.
    Also need to mulch some remaining beds. I still have about 1/2 a truck load of mulch. I need to use it up as it is where the rest of the outdoor plants need to go.
    Still lots to do before winter gets here.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread