+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My yard's on a garden tour.

My yard's on a garden tour.

Our yard will be one of 8 on the Master Gardener's Fall 2006 "Inside Austin Gardens" tour. What is remarkable about that is that we just moved here 8 months ago, but the large collection of plants I was able to bring with me are now in various garden beds and our yard will be billed as "A Plant Collector's Garden". Although the garden is immature due to its newness, the unusual plants will be the draw. That means I need to get busy and get things ship shape by October 21st. Company's coming
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    Congratulations BOB ! What an honor ! What work you must have put into it to get this far so fast.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I would be honored to tour your gardens any day!

Perhaps, one day I will get the opportunity to do just that.

Congrats, you deserve it. I know how hard it must have been to move the Houston to Austin. They are very different climates.

The pictures are great, and I hope you will post more.

BTW, one of your pictures has a plant that I used to have (an annual) that I truly adore. I haven't seen very many on the market lately, but you better believe that when I do, I will propagate it and overwinter a cutting.

Way to GO!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

That's great news Bob and Lana congratulations!!!! Wow!
    Lots of hard been going on at Avery Ranch. Looks great!
    More pics please!!!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I've inserted a link to a yahoo photo album showing our yard as it will be shown on the "Inside Austin Gardens" Tour on Oct. 21st. Enjoy

Take a garden tour
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob, You sure should be proud. Your gardens look great! I really enjoyed seeing the slide show.
    What is the small plant in the front of your bonsai. The one with the purple flowers. The blooms are so vibrant.
    All the plants in your nursery look so healthy. I really like your leanto greenhouse.
    I'll have to look some more tomorrow. Right now it is time to get ready for work.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Oh I feel so relaxed and rejuvenated after taking the slide show tour. The different shades of green were just wonderful. I recognize some plants from Florida(like the Bromeliads). And I laughed at myself when I saw one slide in particular and thought 'oh, i have to know what that is' and I looked at the heading and it read 'Gingers' . Have a Great Time this weekend !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Sue, to answer your question, the flowering plants you see in front of the bonsai are orchids. The one on the right is a mini-phaleonopsis, and the one in the center blooming is a mini-dendrobium given to me as a gift in 2004 and it has been blooming since . The orchid on the right that isn't blooming is a variegated Phaleonopsis which does bloom regularly. Bonsai don't do well in Austin we found out, but the survivors you see are all tropical plants.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Bob,

You know that I am drooling....

And it makes me miss Texas!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread