+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ryegrass germination

Blog Entries

Ryegrass germination

We planted ryegrass a little over a week ago and it is still just sitting there(no germination). We are perplexed by this and I just now did a search on 'ryegrass germination' and hit upon a factor I hadn't considered. We did apply a crabgrass preventer to the lawn back in, gee, I'm going to say April/May. While this may be a factor(although I'd be amazed as those little rolly polly granules hardly seemed enough to do anything but roll downhill), are there other factors that I might be missing. The soil temp has been 80 degrees. Air temps upper 70's to mid to high 80's-day and maybe 60's at night. It rained after planting and we set up a sprinkler after that. I can't swear that all the seed is covered with soil as I can still see seed(but I assume the water/rain will burrough it in).
    Here is the link to the scary factor that I had not considered:
    http://floridaturf.com/weeds/research/overseeding.html

But wonder if I'm missing anything else; how long does germination usually take ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Hmmm....I see a few starting to germinate. I'm going to water more faithfully and we'll see how it goes.

Rye grass likes lots of moisture. It is considered to be a winter grass here and is also sometimes considered to be a weed. It does a wonderful job of preventing erosion, though.

The only problem that I have seen is that the birds love all kinds of grass seed. Normally, though, it grows quite well.

I think you are doing what it takes and being patient. It is a cool weather grass. That may be delaying some of the germination.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wind , rain , [ here the rain evaporated unless heavy ] , sun soil type and temperature all effect germination . It's best to water early in morning [ before 9 am ] and early evening [ after 6 p.m. .]
    If you watch the weather on TV , they will say the Doppler radar shows rain but it's not reaching the ground .
    If the air is to dry it suck up the water .
    To check if the seeds have enough water , turn a glass upside down on a seeded part after 10 AM , check it in an hour , if there are drops of water inside , plenty of water keep doing what you are doing .

What a great idea, Ray!

I had never thought about doing that, but it makes sense that it would work.

Thanks for all your wonderful tips!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    You are very right about the doppler and what reaches the ground ! The weatherman had me put off watering my potted plants all weekend waiting for the supposed rain; I'm afraid to go look at them now. We would get a few rain drops and that was it.
    I like that glass idea; it is very clever.

The doppler shows rain here, but actually, I think that the clouds just got closer to earth. It is only sprinkling, but I will not complain. You see, 82 degrees feels good compared to temps of late, and without the sun beating down, it is actually cool in my greenhouse where I am getting some seedlings transplanted.

All that is in between lesson plans. Lesson plans aren't fun, just work, so I take a break now and then...

Sometimes, it is hard to quit the fun and get back to the lesson plans, though!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh how I'd love to be planting rather than landscaping right now !
    I can just imagine how nice it must be in the greenhouse.
    Lesson plans ? Ug !

I am the eternal grass grower and remover. Have patience, the grasses like the cooler temps and will suddenlly start popping up and they love lots of water, yes, twice a day even if it says rain.

I find even with rain, the leaves of my potted plants will prevent water from getting to them, so I always water them, even when it has rained, to be sure they are staying happy.

I usually get impatient and reseed just about 2 days before the first set of seeds start to germinate, and then I end up with damping off from too many competing seedlings.....I know the landscapers use straw, but I often cover the seeds with peat moss sprinkled or dried grass clippings to hold in the moisture.

Good growing!!
    Linda
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread