+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epiphyllum oxypetalum mini white

Epiphyllum oxypetalum mini white

This is new plant in my collection. Bloom is approx. 11/2" and seems to last longer than regular Epiphyllum oxypetalum. Bloom opened Saturday night, kept full, fresh look all day Sunday, and was spent Monday morning.
    Attached Images  

Larry,

That is one healthy Epi!!!! I like the shorter leaves as well as the fact that the blooms last longer -- especially during daylight.

NICE!!! Thanks for sharing that one. I rarely see Epi's on the market. Did you buy it locally?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

So happens I did. Local nursery called Red Barn. Next time I was in there, they were gone.

The best place to find these is at small sometimes almost private and unheard of places. Also, there are several online shops, such as epi's by Pat and other. Normally big box won't have them but I never stop looking.

The first epi that I ever had originally came from Augusta Evans School which is a special school for severely handicapped children. They have large greenhouses and every year have a huge plant sale. Actually, my mom used to work as a teacher's aid there, and she bought the original plants then gave them to me because at that time, she didn't have enough space to protect them over the winter.

Then, Arlene and Gary from San Antonio sent me some leaves of epi's that were hybridized by Gary's dad, I think. One of those recently bloomed and was gorgeous.

I see two blooms on the orignal from my Mom are going to open soon. The only problem is they bloom at night. I have been told that you can cut the tip of the stem before they bloom and bring them inside, but I haven't had the heart to do that yet.

Currently, I have mine in hanging baskets, and they seem to do better in those than they did in regular pots. They are easier to bring inside into the patio when they are hanging.

I do enjoy them, and one day I hope to try my hand at getting a few to go to seed. But this year, I need to start some more from cuttings. They are getting to LONG!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread