+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It is almost cool enough for a ..sweater !

Blog Entries

It is almost cool enough for a ..sweater !

Can you believe it ?! It must be in the 70's. It is now early evening and actually quite cool out. I'm trying to prepare for the painters next week. We are having the exterior painted. The worst part is pulling hummingbird vine and ivy off the siding. And yes, it has damaged the siding in places. Also, trimmed some shrubs back. Currently moving about 50+ 5 gallon pots away from the back of the house. That is where I want to plant the potted daylilies. I'm going to leave the lilium lilies in pots. But the previous owner has huge(at least 7 foot wide) pampas clumps at the front of the area as well as a 5 foot shrub. I hate to be brutal but... Frankly I have no idea if I can even get that pampas out. Let the Fall Fun begin ! At least it isn't 100 + degrees anymore ! LOL!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    OK, I just did a search on pampas removal and I am either going to cry or bang my head against a wall...augh !
    Attached Images  

Gee, Cathy! I was grateful that it was 69 degrees this morning, but it did climb back up to 90 this afternoon.

Unfortunately, you can literally burn the Pampas grass to the ground, and it will come back again. I hate the stuff. It is evergreen here and gets bigger and bigger. Downright HUGE!

Burn it to the ground. Take an axe and chop it, then dig it up. And pray that you got it all.

Everyone loves Yucca, but it is a weed here. Dig it up and leave the slightest bit of root and it comes back. The same thing happens with Holly. You can't get rid of it.

Actually, I think the Pampas will be easier than the Yucca or Holly.

Good Luck, my Friend! At least it is cooler...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Funny you should mention burning..so did hubby. Unfortunately it is next to the house. I think it is a maiden grass but just as insidious as pampas. I wish mine was as small as the one in the photo below. I will definitely have to take a photo of mine. I am going to take the hedge trimmers to it tomorrow. I also might try Roundup. I guess I should be thankful that I have no yucca or holly as the previous owners planted just about every invasive plant possible. This house is a true gardener's challenge.
    http://www.donnan.com/images/grassMaiden.jpg

The sun will come out tomorrow. LOL! I just realized that's a line in a song from Annie ! But it is supposed to be sunny tomorrow with a high near 80. It was cloudy all day today and we thought we'd have more rain. Sounds like maybe you will be having cooler temps ..I hope !

Still highs of 90 for the next couple of days, then it is dropping to 88. I won't complain because the low of 68-69 in the mornings is a lot better than mid to upper 70's. At least we will have cool mornings.

I agree with the hedgers and the roundup, but you are probably still wise to dig up as much as you can. Just keep applying the roundup every couple of weeks.

Just think! On the good side... You can replace the holes with lovely new composted soil for your daylilies!

Your previous owners remind me of someone I know. I won't say it here, but they love plants that self seed and reproduce like crazy (in my yard)!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Another great day: 80 for a high. There was a cool breeze all day and now, being evening, it is getting much cooler. Wonderful !

It's still high of 90's here. We have another month of heat before it starts to cool down some.

I'm ready for COOLER weather!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Just came in from sitting outside tonight. I will admit that I was wrapped in a wool blanket and drinking a cup of coffee if that says anything about th temperature. It was in the low 70's today. But it is supposed to bounce back up to mid to upper 80's; maybe even 90 again soon. I thought I saw some geese flying south but realized they were flying east--probably to another 'in town' pond LOL! I don't want it to get cold yet as I have much more planting to do but even temps in the upper 70's or low 80's is helpful compared to 100+.

Yes, we are in Texas heaven right now with temperatures between 90 and 70- much better than the 100+ dog days of summer that we hope are now history. We are actually seeing some rain again. My garden plants are responding with a big YEAH
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

I actually did wear my sweater home from work the other morning. It was in the mid 70's today. Talk about heaven. I potted and cleaned and worked outside all day. It will rain tonight on all the newly planted pots. Yeah.
    It has really been grea after such a hot summer. Only wish it would last a while. I really need to gewt the utility building cleaned out to store all the garden equipment and the basement for all those house plants. There is just never enough time is there?
    tennessee sue

We've had rain for the last 4 days. I'm not complaining as
    we desperately needed it. It has been a month or more without any rain! It is still cloudy today, but not raining yet. Looks like it could any minute. The gardens are looking really good, after the rain. It has been only in the low 60's here, but will be back to the high 70's tomorrow. I can't hardly believe that fall is here. I'm not ready for it yet!!!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread