Thread: Cathy's Back!!!!!

Cathy's Back!!!!!

I saw her online....

Cathy, We have MISSED YOU!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    LOL! Yes, I got home a few hours ago. Had to check in real quick..lot's of threads to catch up on and I see new members to meet as well ! Well, looks like I was just ahead of Ernesto. Gotta go harvest pods--the tutus worked as they should ! We had rain while I was gone so all the plants are happy happy AND it is upper 70's !!!!!! Thanks forthe Welcome Home. I'll be back in the next few days.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

That's so FUNNY!

As I was venturing around in search of pods, I wondered how your tutu's did while you were gone....

That is FANTASTIC news!

I've gotta go back out right now with a ziploc to harvest some other types of seeds.

See ya in awhile. It' s almost dark here...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh, Cathy!

After I harvested some Candy Lily seeds, I was on the way back to the house when I smelled a wonderful aroma. Instantly, I knew what it was....

Thanks for reminding me to go back out to harvest those other seeds. I had to use a flash because it was almost dark.

Butterfly Ginger! I have been worried that they would not bloom because of the drought.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I see more that are going to open. Gee! I wish I could send a fragrance over the internet.

Another view... They GLOW in the dark like the Epi's do!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thank you for those great pix--and at night yet ! Oh how I wish I could grow gingers here !
    Your mention of Epi's reminded me of my first, and rather bold, foray into the world of orchid care just yesterday. As I might have mentioned I have bestowed Mom(in Florida) with no less than 3 orchids over a span of 2 years. In March we went to Juno Beach Orchids and I had them repotted. Well this visit to Mom, I saw puckering on the lower leaves and one had some dead leaf 'stumps'. So, I called Kenni at the orchid place and she was just so helpful. What was so amzing is that they were in the process of securing the greenhouse in advance of the storm/hurricane and she took the time to give me advice. The puckering could be too much or too little water. The only way to know is to, gulp!, unpot them and look at the roots. Brown mushy roots=too much water; thin dry white roots=too little. I also asked if the dying of leaves was part of the normal life cycle--as this one had new growth as well. She said that yes, this is true of cattelyas: dead ones are to the back with new growth upfront. She also said not to be afraid to yank them off and not to be afraid to let the roots out in the air for a few days;afterall, they do grow in trees. Actually she said,who says they have to be in pots--certainly not Mother Nature !
    Well, I unpotted that sucker and it appeared that the culprit was too much water. It wasn't a rotted mess but some brown roots that were soft. Also, some new air roots and a few 'soil' roots that looked OK. I ended up with a heaping handful of cut roots. I also cut off the dead leaves. I then stuck the orchid back in the pot. I was pretty pleased with myself. Actually I think that my experience with amaryllis roots helped. They kinda look alike. I am no longer so mystified and fearful of messing up an orchid plant.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Welcome Home Kiddo!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy,

I don't know if this will help, but this is my experience.

I tend to underwater and underfertilize mine. The latter is not good, but to help with the underwatering, I put the traditionally slit ceramic pot in a small bowl that was just right for the bottom of the ceramic pot. The bowl is only about 2" deep and plastic (well sort of rubbermade).

I have another right beside it that doesn't have the bowl under it. Both are watered at the same time and with the same amount. The one with the bowl is doing much, much better than the one without.

I had tried the trays of pebbles under them, but that never seemed to help. The bowl fits snug under the pot, so it must collect a tiny bit of water that humidifies the orchid as it evaporates. Ie., the evaporating water has to rise into the root stucture of the orchid.

I'll try to get a picture later so you can see what I mean. These are in the house which is not as humid (thank goodness) as outside.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread