+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: H. Ernesto

H. Ernesto

Well, it's not one yet, but I have to tell you that it is time for some of us to get a BREAK!!!!

Let's hope this forecasted track changes and stays changed...

http://www.wkrg.com/servlet/Satellit...=1137836191406

If that straight line continued, it would go straight over my house.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Just checked the forecast for Ernesto:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...0605_5day.html

When we lived in Raleigh, we used to track all the incoming hurricanes - but fortunately by the time they reached us, they'd lost some of their power.

I'll be tracking this one, and keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Shannan

Shannan,

Thanks for the link. That one also shows a direct path to my front door.

I've been to Raliegh before. Flew in there in route to visit a paper company for software consultation. It is beautiful country and believe it or not, Raliegh's landscape looks a lot like it does here.

If it's a direct hit, on the right side of the eye, it does not weaken before hitting me. The good news is that I am about 20-25 miles inland, so Gulf Storm surge won't wipe us out. However, there is always a slim chance of flooding. It floods here in a 4-5 in./hour rain, but has never gotten close to coming in my home. I have had about 8-10 inches in the greenhouse and the back yard is 4 foot under water in places. Makes it hard to garden, and we still haven't repaired all the fences from the last few.

Let's hope the path changes and STAYS changed. I don't need to go through this again.

Thanks for the crossed fingers!!!! At this point, I'll take all I can get...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh, shucks!

I looked at your link again to bookmark the site. It says that it will be a category 3, 111-130 mph by Thursday.

I guess we'll know by Monday or Tuesday at the latest if they are going to close schools.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

OK, Ann. I've got everything crossed - not just fingers. Looks like the latest predictions show it coming on land in Florida. Hope this one missed you, and all together and that the folks in Florida don't get hit too badly.

Cheers,
    Shannan

Yep!

But now, it is forecasted to head for Dawn's location. Oh, Gee! No matter where it goes, this one is going to be bad. I don't wish it on anyone. I just don't want ANY of them to come here.

I know that Dawn is watching this one, too!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh, no... It's not good for anyone to have to deal with! At least the current predictions aren't showing it getting up to a category 3 now.

I hope everyone stays safe!

Cheers,
    Shannan

Yes, if there is any goodness to the situation at all, it is the fact that this one appears to be steering away from the center of the Gulf where it could build into a monster like Katrina.

Shannan, I really like the website that you suggested. I checked my local weather and it even forecasts wind speed and direction as well as a lot more.

Thanks!

Still watching this one... The faster it crosssing back over to the Atlantic, the better!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I just heard Ernesto has been downgraded agian to a tropical storm. Hope it stays that way but please everyone be prepared. Who knows what it will do in the next couple of days. Our prayers are with all in the hurricane zone.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Still down-graded to a tropical storm at 8:00 this evening and I sure hope it stays that way. From the map it dosen't lookl ike it will spend much time over the Gulf so hopefully it will not have time to rebuild it's strength significantly. Still looks like it will dump a lot of rain on everyone in it's path.

I hope it peters out.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I can't describe how relieved I am that it is not coming our way and will stay a tropical storm or a minimal hurricane.

No matter how hard one prepares, you are never ready for another one.

Hopefully, no one will be hurt by this one...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Sigh of relief!

I don't think I can handle another one right now.

Four evacuations last year (Arlene, Dennis, Katrina, Rita) following the damage of Ivan is too much already.

Keep those fingers crossed and hopefully, this year will be a lot more peaceful.

Looks like it will stay a tropical storm and provide the East coast of Florida with a LOT of rain, then go into the Atlantic until it gains a more strength (I hope they are wrong and it stays tropical) and re-enter in the Carolinas.

Still watching this one....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We actually had our first rain in NW Austin since July 4th. Only 3/10 inch but reason to celebrate. More (a better chance of) rain is expected tomorrow. This is coming from a slowly moving cold front from the north rather than a hurricane from the southeast.

They have been getting much better in hurricane path predictions in recent years so I am confident the upper gulf coast will not have to worry about this one and as a minimal hurricane at best, should not affect the Floridians too much.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Congrats on the rain, Bob!!!

Hopefully, you will get some more so that your ground will be saturated. I'm not sure which I dislike the most, freezing weather or 'hot and dry'. Mmmmmm.... At least the freezing weather doesn't last very long, so I think HOT and DRY is worse!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Update - the 3/10's of an inch yesterday afternoon softened the ground nicely for the 1.5 inches of rain that followed the next morning. The drought is temporarily over, at our house at least but we still need a lot more to benefit the water table. The thunder storms rumbled through early this morning, power was out for over 2 hours, and the temperatures have dropped to a much more comfortable level. What blessed relief
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast