+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Made it through storms

Made it through storms

Hi everyone..Well I'm finely feeling normal again..pooped from School. (Not use to all the reading I have to do) Anyway's I woke up yesterday morning to some thunder, ofcourse I go down to puter to check the radar (I don't do well in storms). and there is a huge red blob headed are way. Wake the kids to go in the basement because the lightening was so bad. The only way to describe it, is if you have seen the movie "war of the worlds" with tom cruise. It reminded me of that. cloud to ground about every 2 minutes. and the thunder was unbeleivable, never sean anything like it. Well than it starts to hail. By this point I am wishing I was wearing a diaper because I am sooooo scared. The hail was inbetween golf ball and tennis balls. Did that for about 15 minutes and melowed out for about 10 minutes, than all of it came back again...geesh! get me an ambulance or some drug to knock me out because I can't take it anymore..lol

Needless to say I made it through and the only damage we got was one dent in my car.

OK, now it's 4pm and the storms start again, Amber get's all nervous checking the radar, constantly looking out the window and praying it misses us. Which it did, thank god. Unfortunatly a few towns about 20 min. from me got hit by a few tornado's. Lot's of houses and farms just level'ed. A car dealership and school parking lot filled with cars got hit with baseball size hail and EVERY car lost a window. Just a shame nature can be so cruel sometimes....Thankfull that we made it out safely.

Amber

Hoping they are ok.
    Amber

You sound like ME!!!!

LAS!!! I have an enormous respect for the weather!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

weather

Gald you're OK . Sounds like you need a lighting rod [ probably already do ]
    AND a UPS [ uninteruptable power supply . ]
    Gives you from 10 minutes on computer to an hour depending on size . They start at about $30 and go up .
    You can make your own with a car battery and one of those things you plugs into cigarette lighter in car . The one with a car battery lasts longer and you can get a small battery charger and leave pluged in all the time . You can also get one of those portable battery jumpers with a cigarette lighter plug-in .
    Good luck .

I had a UPS when I was taking courses toward a Masters degree at Drexel. I don't know what I would have done without it. The battery finally went out, so now I am without, and I surely miss it. It's one of many things on a long to do and shopping list.

Amber, my Dad, Mom and niece were in a car that was picked up by a tornado. Thank goodness, tornadoes are short lived and not as big here. Dad was the only one hurt and he was in the hospital for a long time.

Please be careful and continue to play it SAFE. We don't have basements here. Our water table is too high, so we just head for the center hallway in the house.

I've never seen hail as large as described by that storm. We have hail, and I've seen the damage, but never witnessed it.

I'm so glad that the tornadoes didn't come your way.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

thanks all... All I can say is I hope this was the last big storm of the season.

Amber
    Amber

The biggest problem we have here is apathy -Everyone knows the earthquake is coming - but there is plenty of time .
    I keep a 10# bag of beans , rice
    5#'s of sugar and flour
    6 pac of mac&cheese the salt and pepper packs from Macdonalds
    A case of bottled water - tea - and a couple of pots .
    a bottle of aspirin , broad spectrum antibiotics , iodine [ getting hard to find] , tape
    3 blankets socks , shoes pants , shirts [ for me and wife ]
    a couple of the flashlights you shake to charge -
    tools - hammer , hacksaw , pliers - a roll of thick plastic sheet stuff duck tape
    A portable battery and thing-e that plugs into cigarette light for 110VAC
    All this fits in a 2 foot square plastic box with the clothes , blankets in a pillow case
    a gallon can of gas - I rotate by replacing when can for lawn mower gets MT
    We rotate food stuffs by replacing the stuff in truck with new when we run out in house .
    I have a blazer and a truck with bed cover . I would have to check to see what is there , I add stuff and the wife does too
    The stuff is kept in which ever I am not using .
    SPEND TODAY GETTING A STORM / EARTHQUAKE KIT TOGETHER AND IF YOU ARE LUCKY YOU WILL NEVER NEED IT ==LUCK IS THE RESULT OF A PREPARED MIND

LOL, Roy! You sound like my husband! We also have 'emergency' provisions very similar to what you suggest - but we don't get anything near the severe weather that you get in the States. (Not expecting an earthquake here either....) But we're prepared nonetheless. We also have a UPS that will run our entire house for 8 hours (which we needed when we lived in India!) but which will power certain 'essentials' for days...

Cheers,
    Shannan

Ah! But the list gets even longer here....

After H. Ivan, Katrina and Rita and others, my neighbor bought this huge generator that runs on natural gas. They are determined to never be without power again. The unit does a self test every week and since it is near my bedroom window, I hear it whining. They say it doesn't run everything, but it runs the a/c, fridge, freezer, microwave and other essentials.

I couldn't afford that, so instead, I replaced the old generator with a larger one. I remember having to fill up the oil every time I put in gas last year, and that was about every 3-4 hours. It only kept the two refrigerators, freezer and my bedroom fan running (at night until it ran out of gas). Speaking of the devil, the next door unit just started whining...

Anyway, I also had an electrician install a huge power switch so that the power company crew will not get 'hit' while the generator is running.

I bought a small a/c window unit to be installed temporarily if needed, and now I need one more for Hunter's room (I get lower bunk. He gets upper bunk).
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Simba, the huge cat (named Simba before we knew he was going to be so big), hit the submit key before I was finished! Serious! LAS!

Add to the list ---- Candles, I bought quite a few more. They have gotten expensive and hard to find at this time of the year. Lamp Oil, I bought 3 large bottles the last time after running out during the Ivan outage.

Propane for the grill. I got a large, 20 gallon gas tank which needs to be filled tomorrow. Ernesto appears to be coming to close...

My car is filled with gas.

As far as food goes, we eat what we can from the freezers of all units. I stayed stocked up with canned goods, etc., but I guess we'd better get some more cat food, just in case.

I have a gas hot water heater, gas clothes dryer (still too much electricity to use, though), gas stove (don't know how to light the oven, but the top is easy).

I have city water now, and that rarely goes out. But just in case, I have bottled water and will be filling more containers in the next couple of days.

I'm washing all the clothes, but I do that every weekend anyway.

Lots of paper towels. Got those...

Oh, I guess I'd better buy an extra gallon or two of milk to freeze. The little one really misses his milk, so just in case...

And I guess I'd better check to see if we have enough nails for the plywood that covers the windows.

Here we go again... I think I sort of have it down to a science by now. We've had so many of those 5-10 day power outages in the last few years.

Still, it is not fun! Watch the Ernesto forecast. Right now, it looks like it's forecasted for the Louisiana-Mississippi coast. That is not a good thing for Ray (Big Ole Dude) in LA.

Surely, this one will give us a break!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

If your freezer isn't full , Fill clean milk jugs or MT bottled water bottles with water and freeze . It gives you more water and keeps the freezer colder longer . You can also buy otter-pops - kind of like popsicles in a plastic bag - kids love-em - or just put in a couple of bricks wrapped in plastic
    I fill MT bottled water bottles with water and freeze , then I use them with ice to keep milk meat and cokes cold for outings , trips . If just going somewhere , the cooler gets the frozen bottles , coke , juice . I don't need the hassle of the water from melted ice .

+ Reply to Thread